BBC Sport rugbyleague


Related BBC sites

Page last updated at 20:56 GMT, Friday, 8 July 2011 21:56 UK

Warrington 28-16 Huddersfield

Warrington (22) 28
Tries: Hodgson, J Monaghan 2, Myler, Anderson Goals: Hodgson 4

Huddersfield (0) 16
Tries: McGillvary, Fa'alogo, Brown Goals: Grix 2

Warrington's Joel Monaghan
Monaghan is now Warrington's leading try scorer this season

Warrington held off a second-half fightback by Huddersfield to go back on top of Super League at a rain-soaked Halliwell Jones Stadium.

The Wolves were rampant in the first half and were 22-0 up after 23 minutes through tries from Brett Hodgson, Richie Myler and Joel Monaghan's brace.

The Giants came back after the break with tries by Jermaine McGillvary, David Fa'alogo and Kevin Brown.

But a 76th minute score by Louis Anderson ensured the hosts were safe.

Wolves were on the offensive from the start when Simon Grix's tackle on Luke O'Donnell forced a spilled ball which was worked wide to put Hodgson away for the opening try, which he converted.

Minutes later Joel Monaghan brilliantly reached Hodgson's grubber with millimetres to spare after his dive beat Brown in the corner.

Hodgson's second goal made it 12-0 with just over five minutes gone.

The next try, by Myler, was beautifully created and finished, Warrington spreading the ball wide and the Giants defence splintering before Myler collected an inside pass from Anderson to cross under the posts.

Hodgson's easy conversion made it 18-0 inside 18 minutes.

The Giants managed just two breaks in the opening quarter and Warrington made them pay again when they whipped the ball the width of the pitch to give Monaghan an easy second.

Such was their dominance before the break that were it not for a series of dropped passes they would have been out of sight by half-time.

The Giants finally broke through on 51 minutes when a series of kicks ended with McGillvary latching onto Michael Lawrence's grubber.

Their second came inside a minute after the restart kick went out on the full and Fa'alogo muscled his way over before Grix converted.

The rain fell with a vengeance and hampered both sides but the Giants refused to give up and Luke Robinson's smart kick saw Brown gather and ground under the posts.

Grix converted to make it 22-16, and the hosts made repeated drop-goal attempts in an effort to give themselves a two score cushion before Anderson's late score ensured the Wolves supporters could breathe more easily.

Warrington coach Tony Smith:
"Physically I thought we dominated pretty well and defensively I thought we were very good.

"There were a couple of moments we will look back with disappointment when they made us pay.

"You have to stand up to the Giants, otherwise they bully you around and I thought we did.

"We could and should have scored another three tries in the first half and we were not smart enough in the second half.

"We had opportunities to put the game to bed and we got a bit anxious and tried to force things instead of being patient. The good thing is that we'll learn plenty from that second half.

"I thought the Giants never stopped trying - they came back with the invitations that we kept handing them and they made a game of it.

"We're disappointed, particularly with the second half, because it's about performance but they've had the wood on us and I'm pleased that we've come away with a win."

Huddersfield coach Nathan Brown:
"In the last three weeks we've played the sides running first and second and physically we've been embarrassed on both occasions.

"We got absolutely hammered, that's the only way you can look at it. We definitely can do a lot better.

"Every now and then you do put in a performance which is not great but to do it twice in three weeks is disappointing.

"Maybe a few years ago, when you're down and you fight back and still lose the game, it might have been acceptable but I like to think that we're better than that.

"We can't be satisfied with that performance. The reality is they absolutely gave it to us and we've come up short. We've a lot of work to do."


Warrington: Hodgson, J. Monaghan, Blythe, Atkins, King, Bridge, Myler, Wood, M. Monaghan, Carvell, Anderson, Westwood, Grix. Replacements: Harrison, Clarke, Cooper, Solomona.

Huddersfield: Cudjoe, McGillvary, Wardle, Lawrence, Hodgson, Brown, Grix, Crabtree, Robinson, Fa'alogo, Horne, Gilmour, O'Donnell. Replacements: Mason, Patrick, Wood, Ferguson.

Att: 10,283

Referee: Ben Thaler (Wakefield)

Print Sponsor

see also
Double injury blow for Warrington
05 Jul 11 |  Warrington
Castleford 18-48 Warrington
01 Jul 11 |  Rugby League
Huddersfield 40-12 Crusaders
03 Jul 11 |  Rugby League
Huddersfield 29-10 Warrington
08 Apr 11 |  Rugby League
Huddersfield 28-18 Warrington
12 Feb 11 |  My Club
Warrington 22-34 Huddersfield
18 Sep 10 |  Rugby League
Rugby League on the BBC
15 Oct 10 |  Rugby League
Rugby league commentaries
03 Apr 10 |  Rugby League

related bbc links:

related internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


Sign in

BBC navigation

Copyright © 2017 BBC. The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.