BBC Sport rugbyleague


Related BBC sites

Page last updated at 18:27 GMT, Saturday, 26 September 2009 19:27 UK

Hull KR 16-30 Wigan

Hull KR (0) 16
Tries: Welham, Fox, I'Anson Goals: Dobson 2
Wigan (18) 30
Tries: Carmont, Paleaaesina, Richards, Gleeson 2 Goals: Richards 5

Andy Coley tries to challenge Daniel Fitzhenry
Andy Coley tries to stop the charge of Daniel Fitzhenry

Wigan survived a second-half fightback from hosts Hull KR to reach the Super League play-off semi-finals.

The Warriors were dominant in the opening half, with tries from George Carmont, Iafeta Paleaaesina and Pat Richards putting them 18-0 up.

Rovers were revitalised after the break, with Kris Welham, Peter Fox and Chaz I'Anson all going over.

But Martin Gleeson scored two late tries to seal the win and earn a clash with either Leeds or St Helens.

Wigan will find out whether they will face on Sunday, when Leeds make their ClubCall decision at 1330 BST.

The Rhinos can choose to host either the Warriors or the Catalans Dragons, who beat Huddersfield on Friday.

Saints will entertain whoever Leeds elect not to pick.

Hull KR, with Shaun Briscoe, Scott Murrell, Ben Galea and Jake Webster back in the side, were given an early chance to take the lead against Wigan only for Michael Dobson to fluff an early penalty.

Instead it was Wigan who broke the deadlock on 15 minutes, Carmont showing great speed to go in at the corner after taking advantage of an ankle injury to Dobson.

The visitors extended their lead on 21 minutes when Michael Vella conceded a penalty for a high tackle and Richards converted.

It was only a matter of time before the Warriors scored again - and they did so after the Hull KR defence had been penalised for offside 10m from the line.

Paleaaesina took the ball, bouncing off a couple of tackles to score under the posts, with Richards adding the extras.

Wigan extended their lead still further just before the break when Richards powered over in the corner after a delightful run on the arc and pass from captain Sean O'Loughlin.


Rovers finally scored their first points when Welham went over after the interval.

Then Fox scored his sixth try in his last seven games following an error from Paleaaesina, Dobson kicking his first goal of the game from the touchline to reduce the deficit to eight points.

Dobson cut it to just two after converting I'Anson's score, the replacement showing remarkable awareness to reach for the line and touch down, although the try was only given following lengthy deliberation by the video referee.

With the home fans sensing a victory, their hopes were dented four minutes later when Gleeson took Paul Prescott's pass to go over despite the defensive efforts of Briscoe.

The Warriors made sure of the win when Gleeson scored again in the last minute to leave Brian Noble's side just 80 minutes away from the Grand Final at Old Trafford.

Hull KR coach Justin Morgan:

"We gave ourselves too much to do. I thought we looked a little bit nervous at the start and they took their chances better than we did.

"We rallied in the second half but that nervous start cost us. I love the fighting spirit but maybe we should have that from the off.

"I'm extremely deflated and very disappointed because I don't think we gave a very good account of ourselves and we probably saved our worst couple of performances for late in the season."

Wigan coach Brian Noble:

"The Grand Final is certainly within our grasp. We've had two attempts in the last couple of years and the boys are very keen to do well.

"I thought we were really clinical in the first half. We lost our execution in the second half and made it harder than it should have been.

"But you've got to give Hull KR credit. They were always going to have a shot back at us. But we finished the game off strongly, so there are some good signs for us."

Hull KR: Briscoe, Fox, Webster, Welham, Colbon, Cooke, Dobson, Fozzard, Fitzhenry, Vella, Newton, Galea, Murrell.
Replacements: Wheeldon, Lovegrove, Netherton, I'Anson.

Wigan: Phelps, Roberts, Gleeson, Carmont, Richards, S. Tomkins, Leuluai, Coley, Riddell, Prescott, J. Tomkins, Hansen, O'Loughlin.
Replacements: Fielden, Paleaaesina, McIlorum, Flanagan.

Referee: R Silverwood (Dewsbury).

Print Sponsor

see also
Huddersfield 6-16 Catalans
25 Sep 09 |  Rugby League
Leeds choose Catalans in play-off
27 Sep 09 |  Rugby League
Hull KR boost as Gene escapes ban
23 Sep 09 |  Rugby League
Quartet return to boost Hull KR
24 Sep 09 |  Hull KR
Catalans criticise Giants tactics
23 Sep 09 |  Catalans
Leeds 44-8 Hull KR
18 Sep 09 |  Rugby League
Noble plays down Crusaders link
18 Sep 09 |  Crusaders
Wigan 18-12 Castleford
20 Sep 09 |  Rugby League
Road to Old Trafford
25 Sep 09 |  Rugby League
Rugby league commentaries
03 Apr 10 |  Rugby League
BBC's Super League Show
26 Sep 09 |  Rugby League

related internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites