Skip to main contentAccess keys helpA-Z index

watch listen BBC Sport BBC Sport
Low graphics|Help
Last Updated: Saturday, 3 November 2007, 20:03 GMT
Second Test - G Britain 44-0 N Zealand
Hull, 3 November 2007

Leon Pryce in action for Great Britain
Leon Pryce scored his first try for Great Britain in five years
Great Britain (16) 44
Tries: Peacock, Pryce (2), Raynor, Wellens, Gardner, Burrow, Senior
Goals: Sinfield (5) Burrow

New Zealand (0)

Great Britain clinched their first series victory in 14 years with an eight-try rout against New Zealand.

Jamie Peacock opened the scoring on two minutes and Leon Pryce doubled the lead 10 minutes later, with Gareth Raynor adding a third just before half-time.

Paul Wellens extended the lead after the break before Ade Gardner scored Great Britain's fifth on 56 minutes.

Leeds duo Rob Burrow and Keith Senior added further scores before Pryce ran in a 70-metre try on 77 minutes.

The home side produced one of their most emphatic international displays as coach Tony Smith brought an end to Great Britain's 14-year wait for international success.

Britain's last series win had come back in 1993 when they had beaten New Zealand 3-0.

Inevitably it was man-of-the-match Peacock who lead from the front with a 20,324-strong crowd watching on at the KC Stadium.

The Great Britain captain smashed his way through five tacklers before touching down after just two minutes.


Kevin Sinfield, who missed the first Test with a stomach bug, kicked over the extras.

Great Britain soon doubled their lead on 14 minutes when Pryce scored his first international try for five years, skipping past a static Sam Perrett, although referee Tony Archer needed the video referee's assitance to ensure the St Helens stand-off had grounded the ball properly.

Britain's punishing runs from first receiver had their desired effect as New Zealand's powerful forwards began to tire as their workloads increased.

The home side should have scored a third three minutes before the interval when a handling error from Clinton Toopi presented Raynor the simplest of chances, but the Hull winger somehow managed to spill the ball diving over the line.

But he made no mistake two minutes later, grounding a sweeping backs passing move created by a powerful run from prop Sam Burgess.

New Zealand attempted to surge forward after the interval in search for an early score, but were continually repelled by Great Britain's outstanding defence.

Sam Burgess leaves several New Zealand players in his wake at the KC Stadium
Sam Burgess leaves several New Zealand players in his wake
And the fourth try came in the 49th minute when Wellens grounded Pryce's hanging high ball inside the Kiwi's in-goal area, courtesy of a deft knock-back by centre Senior.

With Sinfield off the pitch, Burrow added the two points with Great Britain cruising to an emphatic victory.

The fifth try came courtesy of Sean O'Laughlin's enterprise, stealing the ball off full-back Perrett in a one-on-one tackle, feeding Burrow to pave the way for Gardner's second international try in the corner on 56 minutes.

Taniela Tuiaki looked certain to score New Zealand's first points of the night when he swept aside Gardner's tackle, only to receive a ferocious hit from full-back Wellens that forced the Wests Tigers winger to lose the ball from his grasp.

But Great Britain saved their best move for the 63rd minute with an expansive move which swept from one half of the KC Stadium pitch to the other, neatly finished off by Burrow.

Senior was rewarded with another excellent display when he was presented the simplest of tries after 72 minutes.

And Pryce capped off a brilliant individual performance when he intercepted a loose New Zealand pass to run 70 metres for his second try of the evening.

Great Britain: Paul Wellens (St Helens); Ade Gardner (St Helens), Keith Senior (Leeds), Martin Gleeson (Warrington), Gareth Raynor (Hull); Leon Pryce (St Helens), Rob Burrow (Leeds), Adrian Morley (Warrington), Jon Clarke (Warrington), Jamie Peacock (Leeds, capt), Gareth Ellis (Leeds), Sean O'Loughlin (Wigan), Kevin Sinfield (Leeds)
Replacements: Maurie Fa'asavalu (St Helens), James Graham (St Helens), Sam Burgess (Bradford), Danny McGuire (Leeds).

New Zealand: Sam Perrett (Sydney Roosters); Shontayne Hape (Bradford), Clinton Toopi (Leeds), Paul Whatuira (Huddersfield), Taniela Tuiaki (Wests Tigers); Lance Hohaia (NZ Warriors), Thomas Leuluai (Wigan); Roy Asotasi (South Sydney, capt), Dene Halatau (Wests Tigers), Fuifui Moimoi (Parramatta), Simon Mannering (NZ Warriors), Frank Pritchard (Penrith), Jeremy Smith (Melbourne).
Replacements: Greg Eastwood (Brisbane), Louis Anderson (Warrington), Sam Rapira (NZ Warriors), David Faiumu (North Queensland).

Referee: Tony Archer (Australia).

Lions coach revels in stylish win
03 Nov 07 |  Rugby League
GB v New Zealand photos
03 Nov 07 |  Rugby League
GB v NZ as it happened
03 Nov 07 |  Rugby League
Clarke handed Great Britain debut
01 Nov 07 |  Rugby League
Toopi returns to New Zealand team
01 Nov 07 |  Rugby League
Wilkin expects firm but fair game
01 Nov 07 |  Rugby League
Kiwis enraged by Burgess decision
30 Oct 07 |  Rugby League


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Daily and weekly e-mails | Mobiles | Desktop Tools | News Feeds | Interactive Television | Downloads
Sport Homepage | Football | Cricket | Rugby Union | Rugby League | Tennis | Golf | Motorsport | Boxing | Athletics | Snooker | Horse Racing | Cycling | Disability sport | Olympics 2012 | Sport Relief | Other sport...

Help | Privacy & Cookies Policy | News sources | About the BBC | Contact us