Skip to main contentAccess keys helpA-Z index

[an error occurred while processing this directive]
watch listen BBC Sport BBC Sport
Low graphics|Help
Last Updated: Saturday, 27 October 2007, 19:04 GMT 20:04 UK
First Test - G Britain 20-16 N Zealand
Huddersfield, 27 October 2007

Maurie Fa'asavalu
Fa'asavalu scored Great Britain's first try on his debut
Great Britain (8) 20
Tries: Fa'asavalu, Raynor, Burgess
Goals: Burrow (4)

New Zealand (10) 14
Tries: Hape (2), Whatuira
Goals: Hohaia

Debut tries from Maurie Fa'asavalu and Sam Burgess helped Great Britain to victory over New Zealand in the first of three Tests at Huddersfield.

The Kiwis opened the scoring with a Shontayne Hape try but the Lions weathered the early storm and went in front with Fa'asavalu's score.

The tourists hit back through Paul Whatuira to lead 10-8 at the break.

But Gareth Raynor and Burgess scored for Great Britain as the Lions held out despite a second try for Hape.

Great Britain were hampered before kick-off when Kevin Sinfield pulled out with a stomach upset, leaving the side without a front-line kicker.


Sean O'Loughlin came in at loose forward, with Jon Wilkin coming onto the bench.

The Lions were further rocked early on when Hape gathered Thomas Leuluai's kick through to touch down.

Lance Hohaia missed with his goal attempt and Great Britain took this as a cue to renew their efforts, going close with several strong drives.

The home side were further bolstered when Samoan-born Fa'asavalu came on after 18 minutes, immediately helping to lift the tempo.

Sam Burgess in action for Great Britain
Sam Burgess tries to force his way through the New Zealand defence

Great Britain's first scoring chance came soon after, but James Roby spilled the ball as he dived for the line after collecting his own grubber from close range.

Five minutes later, Great Britain playmaker Rob Burrow intercepted the ball inside his own half and set off upfield.

He was felled after making 40 yards but the territory gained set up Fa'asavalu to crash through three Kiwi defenders to score.

Burrow added the goal but blew a golden chance of a second quickfire score when he ruined his silky break with a woeful pass inside to the unmarked Fa'asavalu.

The Leeds scrum-half made amends with a penalty shortly after, but then a Fa'asavalu error handed New Zealand the lead.

The prop fumbled in midfield and the Kiwis hacked on, with Whatuira wrestling the ball down over the line, despite O'Loughlin's desperate defence.

Hohaia added the goal to give the Kiwis a half-time lead, but Great Britain hit back hard after the interval.

First, from Leon Pryce's scything run, they went close when Raynor's touchdown was ruled out aftre he tried to get on the end of Burrow's chip through.

Maurie Fa'asavalu
Fa'asavalu gets to grips with Perrett
Then, minutes later, Burrow kicked from deep and Raynor pounced for a try when Kiwi full-back Sam Perrett failed to touch down the ball.

In response, New Zealand upped their intensity.

But there was no way through a stout Great Britain defence and the home side scored again when Pryce made a half-break and offloaded to the 18-year-old Burgess to score.

The ferocity increased as the game entered the last 10 minutes.

And New Zealand struck when the Lions were admiring Burgess's hit on Fuifui Moimoi.

The Kiwis quickly fed the ball out to Hape, who scorched over in the right corner for his second try.

The Lions were able to hang on and will take a 1-0 lead into the second Test in Hull next weekend.

Great Britain: Paul Wellens (St Helens), Ade Gardner (St Helens), Martin Gleeson (Warrington Wolves), Keith Senior (Leeds Rhinos), Gareth Raynor (Hull FC), Leon Pryce (St Helens), Rob Burrow (Leeds Rhinos), Adrian Morley (Warrington Wolves), Terry Newton (Bradford Bulls), Sam Burgess (Bradford Bulls), Jamie Peacock (capt, Leeds Rhinos), Gareth Ellis (Leeds Rhinos), Sean O'Loughlin (Wigan)
Replacements: Maurie Fa'asavalu (St Helens), James Roby (St Helens), James Graham (St Helens), John Wilkin (St Helens)

New Zealand: Sam Perrett (Sydney Roosters); Tame Tupou (Bradford), Shontayne Hape (Bradford), Paul Whatuira (Huddersfield), Taniela Tuiaki (Wests Tigers), Lance Hohaia (NZ Warriors), Thomas Leuluai (Wigan); Roy Asotasi (South Sydney, capt), Dene Halatau (Wests Tigers), Fuifui Moimoi (Parramatta), Simon Mannering (NZ Warriors), Frank Pritchard (Penrith), Jeremy Smith (Melbourne)
Replacements: Greg Eastwood (Brisbane), Louis Anderson (Warrington), Sam Rapira (NZ Warriors), Epalahame Lauaki (NZ Warriors)

Referee: Tony Archer (Australia)

Smith hails 'rusty' win for Lions
27 Oct 07 |  Rugby League
GB v NZ as it happened
27 Oct 07 |  Rugby League
Jon Wilkin column
25 Oct 07 |  Rugby League
Burgess excited ahead of GB debut
25 Oct 07 |  Rugby League
Lions hand Test debut to Burgess
25 Oct 07 |  Rugby League
GB hit back at 'hypocritical' NZ
24 Oct 07 |  Rugby League
Kiwi chief launches attack on RFL
23 Oct 07 |  Rugby League
Wilkin backs Fa'asavalu selection
23 Oct 07 |  Rugby League
GB call up Fa'asavalu and Burgess
21 Oct 07 |  Rugby League


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Daily and weekly e-mails | Mobiles | Desktop Tools | News Feeds | Interactive Television | Downloads
Sport Homepage | Football | Cricket | Rugby Union | Rugby League | Tennis | Golf | Motorsport | Boxing | Athletics | Snooker | Horse Racing | Cycling | Disability sport | Olympics 2012 | Sport Relief | Other sport...

Help | Privacy & Cookies Policy | News sources | About the BBC | Contact us