Skip to main contentAccess keys helpA-Z index

[an error occurred while processing this directive]
watch listen BBC Sport BBC Sport
Low graphics|Help
Last Updated: Sunday, 19 August 2007, 20:04 GMT 21:04 UK
Warrington 22-18 Catalans
Super League

Warrington (12) 22
Tries: Riley, Penny, Grose 2, Parker
Goals: Briers

Catalans Dragons (6) 18
Tries: Greenshields, Jones, Murphy
Goals: Jones 3

Warrington worked hard to overcome a determined challenge from Challenge Cup finalists Catalans Dragons and move back into the top six of Super League.

The Dragons battled throughout, scoring three ties, but the Wolves managed five of their own to claim victory.

Brent Grose went over twice while Chris Riley, Kevin Penny and Rob Parker also got crucial scores.

Dragons prop David Ferriol was placed on report for alleged use of his elbow in the tackle just before the interval.

Riley opened the scoring after 13 minutes when he took Jon Clarke's long pass to go over in the corner but Lee Briers missed the conversion.

The Dragons levelled nine minutes later when full-back Clint Greenshields crossed wide out and Stacey Jones edged his side in front with the conversion.

Penny then claimed his 11th try in only 10 starts before Grose managed his first try seven minutes before the break.

Briers, furious over referee Steve Ganson's decision to refer the try to video referee Phil Bentham for a possible obstruction, was sin-binned for dissent and, in his absence, Westwood missed the conversion.

The Dragons drew level for a second time three minutes into the second half through Jones but their lead was short-lived as Grose went through their defence for his second try on 46 minutes.

Then with Greenshields in the sin-bin for a professional foul, Briers broke clear to send prop Parker over for his first try of the season.

After three misses, Briers at last found the target with the goal to stretch the Wolves' lead to 22-12 before Justin Murphy's late consolation effort.

  • Warrington coach Paul Cullen

    "It wasn't the best we've been all year but it was the bravest by a mile.

    "We had eight players out of 24 unavailable and medically it's been the probably the hardest week since I came back to the club five years ago.

    "Full credit to the Catalans, who didn't come here to give the game away, and I was really pleased the guys toughed it out."

  • Catalans coach Mick Potter

    "I couldn't afford to rest players and we couldn't afford to lose the game if we were to keep our outside hopes of making the top six.

    "I'm disappointed in the result. But they played better than and deserved the two points."

    Warrington: Grose, Riley, M. Gleeson, Westwood, Penny, Clarke, Briers, Wood, M. Gleeson, Rauhihi, Morley, Bracek, Harrison.
    Replacements: Leikvoll, Pickersgill, Parker, Mitchell.

    Catalans Dragons: Greenshields, Murphy, Wilson, Raguin, Khattabi, Mogg, Jones, Ferriol, Quigley, Chan, Gossard, Croker, Mounis.
    Replacements: Touxagas, K. Bentley, Casty, Fellous.

    Referee: S Ganson (St Helens)

    Hull 46-14 Warrington
    12 Aug 07 |  Rugby League
    Catalans 21-0 St Helens
    11 Aug 07 |  Rugby League


    The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

    Daily and weekly e-mails | Mobiles | Desktop Tools | News Feeds | Interactive Television | Downloads
    Sport Homepage | Football | Cricket | Rugby Union | Rugby League | Tennis | Golf | Motorsport | Boxing | Athletics | Snooker | Horse Racing | Cycling | Disability sport | Olympics 2012 | Sport Relief | Other sport...

    Help | Privacy & Cookies Policy | News sources | About the BBC | Contact us