Skip to main contentAccess keys helpA-Z index

[an error occurred while processing this directive]
| Help
Last Updated: Sunday, 15 August, 2004, 12:29 GMT 13:29 UK
Welsh Conference review
Saturday 14 August

Total Harry Jepson Trophy Quarter-Final
Bridgend Blue Bulls 18-30 West London Sharks

Welsh Conference champions Bridgend Blue Bulls were beaten for the first time in their 28 game history by a well-drilled West London Sharks side.

Bridgend, with just one change from the side that beat Aberavon last week, started the stronger of the two sides but the tough Sharks defence stopped them from crossing the line on a handful of occasions in the opening ten minutes.

They went ahead through a Jon Williams penalty, and followed that with their first try of the match two minutes later.

Following a fantastic mazy run from Craig Fox, Grant David was tackled just short of the line, but Fox crossed from the play-the-ball.

West London hit back almost immediately through a try from captain Alex Sanerive.

Gareth David could have extended Bridgend's lead on the half-hour, dropping the ball when tackled right by the line but the Bulls did score five minutes later through another mazy run from Fox.

Bridgend went into half-time with a slender 14-12 lead following a incident-packed last two minutes.

After Trevor Leota's try was ruled out for an infringement, John Devereux's pass to Allan Bateman was intercepted. From the next tackle, Lawrence Ross ran half the length of the field to score under the posts for the visitors.

For a few of the Bridgend players, it was their second game in the space of five hours as the town's two union sides had faced off against each other in a friendly match earlier that day.

And Grant Epton made history by being the first ever Bridgend player to score tries for his home club in two different rugby codes in the same day when he increased the Blue Bulls lead after only five minutes of the second period.

West London soon hit back. Will Amor looked to have scored in the 55th minute but was held up after crossing the line.

However, Dan Wright forced the ball home from the next tackle, with Andre Wilson's conversion levelling the scores.

The Sharks then took the lead from the first time just two minutes later when Phil Astbury scored under the sticks.

Following David's earlier sin-binning, both teams finished the game with 12 men as Mark Barnes and Craig Fox were both yellow-carded after a 75th minute fight.

Bridgend chose to run in the penalty following this incident and almost scored on the fifth tackle but Kevin Ellis' grubber kick went just too far for any Bulls player to latch onto.

The Sharks sealed the win in the last minute as Clae Morgan forced the ball under the posts. Wilson's conversion making the final score 30-18 and a shock win for the Londoners.

Said West London captain and man-of-the-match Sanerive: "You can tell these guys are the champions, but they tired a bit in the second half and we were able to take advantage.

"I'm pleased that we have Ipswich in the semis as they beat us in last year's quarter-finals. But we're a better stronger team this year and we're out for revenge."

Total National Rugby League Conference Shield Quarter-Final
Cardiff Demons 46-6 Telford Raiders

Cardiff took the lead in only the fourth minute through a Mark Dando try, and never looked back as they booked their place in the semi-finals.

They increased their lead to 10-0 six minutes later as Jamie Iles ran 60 metres to ground under the posts.

Telford got two points back through a 13th minute Darren White penalty, but it was there only points of the first half as Demons scored three more tries to make the half time score 26-2.

On 19 minutes, Lewis Francis made a 20 metre run to score under the posts. Then on 28 minutes Idris Evans grounded through a Pete Moore grubber kick. Finally right on half-time, Andy Jones forced his way through to touch-down.

Telford fought back in the second half and kept Cardiff scoreless until the 57th minute when Mark Bow broke through following an excellent run from Neil Thomas.

The visitors finally grounded four minutes later through White, but Cardiff struck back straight away as Francis crossed in the corner.

Cardiff wrapped things up with two tries in the last three minutes. First, Evans ran 60 metres before laying off to Iles to ground before Evans ran 80 metres to score himself.

Cardiff will play St Albans Centurions, who beat St Ives 30-22, in next Sunday's semi-final at Hemel.

Bulls retain Welsh crown
08 Aug 04  |  Rugby League
Welsh Conference Round 16
31 Jul 04  |  Rugby League
Welsh Conference Round 15
22 Jul 04  |  Rugby League
Welsh Conference Round 14
17 Jul 04  |  Rugby League
Welsh Conference Round 13
10 Jul 04  |  Rugby League
Welsh Conference Round 12
08 Jul 04  |  Rugby League
Welsh Conference Round 11
03 Jul 04  |  Rugby League
Welsh Conference Round 10
27 Jun 04  |  Rugby League
Welsh Conference Round 9
19 Jun 04  |  Rugby League
Welsh Conference Round 8
12 Jun 04  |  Rugby League
Welsh Conference Round 7
05 Jun 04  |  Rugby League
Welsh Conference Round 6
31 May 04  |  Rugby League
Welsh Conference Round 5
29 May 04  |  Rugby League
Welsh Conference Round 4
26 May 04  |  Rugby League
Welsh Conference Round 3
16 May 04  |  Rugby League
Welsh Conference Round 2
10 May 04  |  Rugby League
Welsh Conference Round 1
03 May 04  |  Rugby League
Demons 36-32 Bears
25 Apr 04  |  Rugby League

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

E-mail services | Sport on mobiles/PDAs


Back to top

Sport Homepage | Football | Cricket | Rugby Union | Rugby League | Tennis | Golf | Motorsport | Boxing | Athletics | Snooker | Horse Racing | Cycling | Disability sport | Olympics 2012 | Sport Relief | Other sport...

BBC Sport Academy >> | BBC News >> | BBC Weather >>
About the BBC | News sources | Privacy & Cookies Policy | Contact us
banner watch listen bbc sport