BBC Sport snooker

IN ASSOCIATION WITH

Related BBC sites

Page last updated at 13:40 GMT, Monday, 17 May 2010 14:40 UK

Barry Hearn launches one-frame shoot-out tournament

Barry Hearn
Hearn said the event would help to "regenerate a new era for snooker"

Snooker boss Barry Hearn has promised "non-stop breathtaking action" after announcing a new one-frame shoot-out event for the world's top 64 players.

Hearn said the World Snooker Shoot-Out was a key part of his plans to overhaul the sport and draw in a new audience.

"It will be snooker at full throttle," said the World Snooker chairman.

The tournament, which will have a random draw, will feature a 20-second shot clock and frames will not be allowed to take more than 12 minutes.

The event will run from 28 to 30 January, 2011 at a venue to be announced, and will be screened live on Sky.

"It will test players to the limits of what they can do under pressure," added Hearn, who said the champion would win £32,000 for their efforts.

It's one of a variety of new events on the calendar which will help to generate a new and wonderful era for snooker

World Snooker chairman Barry Hearn

"They will have to make quick decisions and show their natural ability and plenty of bottle - with the chance to double their money for every game they win.

"There will be a very lively atmosphere so it might not be one for the purists, but we want to appeal to new and younger audiences and this is the perfect format to trial.

"This is among the most exciting ideas I've had since coming back into snooker and I can't wait to see it realised.

"It's one of a variety of new events on the calendar which will help to generate a new and wonderful era for snooker."

Sky has not screened any World Snooker-sanctioned events since 2004, with its coverage of the sport limited to the Premier League event.

Since returning to the sport, Hearn has helped set up a new ranking event in Germany, extended the deal to hold the World Championship at the Crucible and announced plans for a World Seniors Championship.

Hearn intends to take a 51% stake in World Snooker, with players and other stakeholders in the sport owning the remaining 49% of what would become an independent business.



Print Sponsor


see also
Majority support plan, says Hearn
05 May 10 |  Snooker
Snooker goes back to the future
19 Apr 10 |  Snooker
New Crucible snooker deal agreed
30 Apr 10 |  Snooker
Ebdon hits out at Hearn proposals
22 Apr 10 |  Snooker
Hearn plots snooker revolution
15 Apr 10 |  Business


related internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

FROM OTHER SPORT SITES
GadgetSpeak Goodman's Satellite ... - 2 hrs ago


BBC navigation

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.