Quinten Hann effectively called time on his snooker career on Tuesday when he resigned from the World Professional Billiards and Snooker Association.
Quinten Hann has never been far from controversy during his career
The Australian has not played this season after newspaper allegations last May that he agreed to accept £50,000 to lose a match at the China Open.
A hearing into the claims is set for Friday, but the world number 22 has said he will not attend.
His decision means he is removed from the rankings and loses all his points.
A WPBSA statement confirmed: "The independent hearing board initially set 29 November as the date for the hearing, but was told Mr Hann would not be medically fit to attend.
"The hearing was rescheduled for Friday, 17 February. Mr Hann has now informed the WPBSA he does not intend to be present. The hearing will go ahead in his absence.
"A further statement will be issued once the hearing has taken place and there will be no further comment prior to the hearing."
The decision of the 28-year-old from Melbourne looks to have brought down the curtain on a career in which he was never far from the headlines.
He missed six tournaments in 1999-2000 after breaking his collarbone in a motorcycle accident and was also in the wars a few months later when he broke his foot during a parachute jump.
In 2002 he conceded a frame with 13 reds remaining in a match against Stephen Lee, and at the World Championship that year he was accused of unsporting conduct for breaking off pool-style in his victory over Paul Hunter.
Two years later Hann had to be separated from opponent Andy Hicks at the end of his 10-4 World Championship defeat, and beat fellow professional Mark King in a boxing bout a few months later.
His private life has been troubled too. In 2002 he was cleared of raping a 21-year-old student, while last year he was acquitted of sexually assaulting a singer and actress.
It is understood Hann is now contemplating a future on the American pool circuit.