Skip to main contentAccess keys helpA-Z index

[an error occurred while processing this directive]
| Help
Last Updated: Monday, 19 January, 2004, 23:06 GMT
Parrott makes winning return
An emotional John Parrott reached the second round of the Welsh Open with a 5-2 defeat of Patrick Wallace.

It was Parrott's first tournament since the death of his father in December and the ex-world champion thanked fellow pro Darren Morgan for his support.

"I spoke to Darren about it before the match because he has lost both his parents," said Parrott. "It was a big help and I've taken his advice."

Wallace hit two century breaks but it was not enough to prevent defeat.

Hong Kong's Marco Fu beat Liu Song of China to set up a second-round clash with newly crowned UK champion Matthew Stevens.

World number 22 Mark King will face fellow Romford player Steve Davis in the last 32 after coming from 3-1 down to beat Nick Dyson 5-3.

Robert Milkins won his first match of the season in beating Paul Davies 5-2 in the first round.

The world number 21 had lost all five of his matches so far but finally broke his duck against Davies.

Also winning in Cardiff was Irishman Michael Judge, who sent local hope Anthony Davies out with a 5-2 defeat.

Northern Ireland's Joe Swail will provide the second round opposition for crowd favourite Jimmy White after beating Mark Davis 5-2.

Barry Pinches pulled off a last-gasp win over Tony Drago to reach the second round.

The world number 36 from Norwich cleared to the pink to secure a 5-4 victory his Maltese opponent had missed the brown with the rest in the decider.

Joe Swail
Joe Swail earned himself a second-round tie with Jimmy White
Pinches led 3-1 before Drago won the fifth with a break of 77 and made it 3-3 with a run of 103.

Pinches responded with a 133 total clearance but Drago's 101 forced the contest the distance.

He now meets world number five Stephen Lee, whom he beat 9-6 in the UK Championship, for a place in the last 16.

In other matches, Mark Selby won the last three frames to beat Thai number one James Wattana 5-3, while Redcar's Mike Dunn defeated Ian McCulloch 5-3.

Finnish number one Robin Hull withdrew in the third frame of his match against Michael Holt because of a thyroid problem.

Dave Harold has also pulled out after injuring his wrist on New Year's Eve.

Marcus Campbell therefore receives a walkover, but the Scot's elation turned to despair when he discovered his cue had been smashed in half en route to Cardiff.

He has until Wednesday morning to either get it repaired or find a replacement.

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

E-mail services | Sport on mobiles/PDAs


Back to top

Sport Homepage | Football | Cricket | Rugby Union | Rugby League | Tennis | Golf | Motorsport | Boxing | Athletics | Snooker | Horse Racing | Cycling | Disability sport | Olympics 2012 | Sport Relief | Other sport...

BBC Sport Academy >> | BBC News >> | BBC Weather >>
About the BBC | News sources | Privacy & Cookies Policy | Contact us
banner watch listen bbc sport