Pellizotti leaves the crowd in no doubt as to who has won the stage
Italian Franco Pellizotti captured the 17th stage of the Giro d'Italia from Chieti to Blockhaus on Wednesday.
The Liquigas rider held off several top names to clock two hours 21 minutes six seconds on the 83km mountainous route.
Lance Armstrong was in the small leading group for a short while before dropping back to finish in 10th place.
Russian Denis Menchov was in the leading pack and retained the overall leader's pink jersey in the 21-stage event, which concludes on Sunday.
The Abruzzo region was hit by a major earthquake last month, which killed almost 300 people.
Some riders visited the worst-hit city of L'Aquila during Tuesday's rest day, while many are wearing pink armbands to raise funds for the area.
Stage 17 was shortened slightly so that authorities did not have to clear snow from the mountains around Blockhaus and could concentrate on earthquake relief work.
Some of the crowd, keen followers of local rider Danilo Di Luca, booed Menchov but the Italian said: "These are my fans, worse things happen in football stadiums."
Pre-race favourite and 2006 champion Ivan Basso again finished just outside the podium places and is 3:28 adrift ahead of Thursday's 18th stage, a 182km route from Sulmona to Benevento.
Stage 17 results (Wednesday):
1. Franco Pellizotti (Ita/Liquigas) 2hrs 21mins 6secs
2. Stefano Garzelli (Ita/Acqua & Sapone) +42
3. Danilo Di Luca (Ita/Team LPR) +43
4. Denis Menchov (Rus/Rabobank) +48
5. Ivan Basso (Ita/Liquigas) +57
6. Marzio Bruseghin (Ita/Lampre ) +1:54
7. Sylwester Szmyd (Pol/Liquigas ) +1:55
8. Michael Rogers (Aus/Columbia ) +1:59
1. Denis Menchov (Rus/Rabobank) 72hrs 28mins 24secs
2. Danilo Di Luca (Ita/Team LPR ) +26
3. Franco Pellizotti (Ita/Liquigas ) +2:00
4. Ivan Basso (Ita/Liquigas) +3:28
5. Carlos Sastre (Spa/Cervelo) +3:30
6. Levi Leipheimer (US/Astana ) +4:32
7. Michael Rogers (Aus/Columbia ) +5:54
8. Stefano Garzelli (Ita/Acqua & Sapone ) +8:03