France's Christophe Le Mevel won the 16th stage of the Giro d'Italia from Lissone to Varazze on Wednesday.
The Credit Agricole rider finished ahead of Belgium's Christophe Brandt of Davitamon-Lotto and Italy's Alessandro Vanotti of Domina Vacanze.
The main peloton, including race leader Paolo Savoldelli and all the main race contenders, was over 20 minutes behind.
Le Mevel, who broke away 1500m from the finish, is the first Frenchman since 1999 to claim a stage on the Giro.
It was his first professional victory since he made his pro debut in 2001.
A year later, his career was put on hold after a horrific crash in the Four Days of Dunkirk.
A frustrated looking Brandt came over the line around 10 seconds later, with Vanotti arriving a further five seconds behind.
Laurent Jalabert was the last Frenchman to win in the Giro, at Lumezzane.
Stage 16 result:
1. Christophe Le Mevel (France / Credit Agricole) 4:50:51"
2. Christophe Brandt (Belgium / Davitamon - Lotto) +8"
3. Alessandro Vanotti (Italy / Domina Vacanze) +16"
4. Dmitriy Fofonov (Kazakhstan / Cofidis)
5. Fraenk Schleck (Luxembourg / Team CSC)
6. Addy Engels (Netherlands / Quick-Step)
7. Alberto Ongarato (Italy / Fassa Bortolo) +50"
8. Uros Murn (Slovenia / Phonak)
9. Lilian Jegou (France / Francaise des Jeux)
10. Andre Korff (Germany / T-Mobile)
1. Paolo Savoldelli (Italy / Discovery Channel) 76:07:16"
2. Danilo Di Luca (Italy / Liquigas) +25"
3. Gilberto Simoni (Italy / Lampre - Caffita) +1:48"
4. Juan Manuel Garate (Spain / Saunier Duval) +2:11"
5. Jose Rujano (Venezuela / Colombia - Selle Italia) +2:18"
6. Pietro Caucchioli (Italy / Credit Agricole) +3:25"
7. Sergei Gontchar (Ukraine / Domina Vacanze) +4:05"
8. Emanuele Sella (Italy / Panaria) +5:50"
9. Dario Cioni (Italy / Liquigas) +6:40"
10. Vladimir Karpets (Russia / Illes Balears) +6:44"