Alessandro Petacchi has won a record eighth stage at the Giro d'Italia.
Victory on the 243km 15th stage from Pula in Croatia saw the Italian break the post-war record for the most wins in one edition of the race.
The sprinter, who was made to battle hard by Australia's Robbie McEwen, will probably have tasted his last win as the riders enter the mountain stages.
Ukraine's Yaroslav Popovych kept the overall leader's pink jersey, with compatriot Serhiy Gonchar in second.
"It gives me immense pleasure to have done that (broken the post-war record)," Petacchi said.
"It is unbelievable and I have to thank my team-mates."
Petacchi will now set his sights on a ninth victory in
the climax to the race.
"Hopefully I won't arrive in Milan too tired, but the weather hasn't been too hot, so I've been able to recover easily enough," he said.
Stage 15 results:
1. Alessandro Petacchi (Ita) Fassa Bortolo 5:59:52
2. Robbie McEwen (Australia) Lotto-Domo
3. Olaf Pollack (Ger) Gerolsteiner
4. Andris Nauduzs (Lat) Domina Vacanze
5. Alexandre Usov (Bel) Phonak
6. Fred Rodriguez (US) Acqua & Sapone
7. Angelo Furlan (Ita) Alessio-Bianchi
8. Simone Cadamuro (Ita) De Nardi
9. Jan Svorada (Cze) Lampre
10. Luciano Pagliarini Mendonca (Bra) Lampre all same time
Leading overall standings:
1. Yaroslav Popovych (Ukr) Landbouwkrediet 66:48:30
2. Serhiy Gonchar (Ukr) De Nardi 3 seconds behind
3. Bradley McGee (Aus) FDJeux.com 1:02
4. Gilberto Simoni (Ita) Saeco 1:27
5. Franco Pellizotti (Ita) Alessio-Bianchi 1:32
6. Damiano Cunego (Ita) Saeco 1:48
7. Giuliano Figueras (Ita) Ceramiche Panaria 2:30
8. Stefano Garzelli (Ita) Vini Caldirola 2:31
9. Dario David Cioni (Ita) Fassa Bortolo 2:36
10. Wladimir Belli (Ita) Lampre 3:09