Australia's Robbie McEwen held off the challenge of Olaf Pollack and Marco Zanotti to win Thursday's 177km fifth stage of the Giro d'Italia.
Australian McEwen was first across the line in a sprint finish
The Lotto rider was the first over the line after a sprint finish, but Wednesday's stage winner Alessandro Petacchi was missing from the finale.
He was accidentally boxed in by a team-mate on the final corner and missed the burst for the line.
Two-time winner Gilberto Simoni retained the overall race lead.
Friday's sixth stage, from Spoleto to Valmontone, includes a hilly section at first and a flat finish.
Stage five results:
1. Robbie McEwen (Australia) Lotto-Domo 4:24:57
2. Olaf Pollack (Germany) Gerolsteiner
3. Marco Zanotti (Italy) Vini Caldirola
4. Alexandre Usov (Belarus) Phonak
5. Crescenzo D'Amore (Italy) Acqua & Sapone
6. Eddy Mazzoleni (Italy) Saeco
7. Andris Nauduzs (Latvia) Domina Vacanze
8. Simone Cadamuro (Italy) De Nardi
9. Fred Rodriguez (U.S.) Acqua & Sapone
10. Alejandro Albert Borrajo (Argentina) Ceramiche Panaria-Margre all same time
(after five stages)
1. Gilberto Simoni (Italy) Saeco 23:34:35
2. Damiano Cunego (Italy) Saeco 13
3. Yaroslav Popovych (Ukraine) Landbouwkrediet 21
4. Franco Pellizotti (Italy) Alessio-Bianchi 29
5. Gerhard Trampusch (Austria) Acqua & Sapone 41
6. Giuliano Figueras (Italy) Ceramiche Panaria-Margres 45
7. Dario David Cioni (Italy) Fassa Bortolo 52
8. Serhiy Gonchar (Ukraine) De Nardi 58
9. Stefano Garzelli (Italy) Vini Caldirola 1:05
10. Eddy Mazzoleni (Italy) Saeco 1:06