Igor Gonzalez de Galdeano became the first leader of this year's Tour of Spain when his ONCE team won Saturday's opening 28km team time-trial in Gijon.
ONCE won by 10 seconds from the US Postal Team, led by another Spanish rider, Roberto Heras, with Francisco Mancebo's ibanesto squad third, 24 seconds off the pace.
Oscar Sevilla's Kelme team were 45 seconds behind ONCE and the Bianchi outfit of Angel Casero 58 seconds adrift.
Reigning team champions Fassa Bortolo could only finish in 13th position, 1min 25sec behind, after team leader Aitor Gonzalez punctured 1.5km from the finish.
The Relax Fuelanbrada team suffered a mass fall that left three of their riders - including leader Santi Blanco - on the tarmac.
The Vuelta lasts until 28 September.
Tour of Spain, first stage (team time-trial, 28km)
1. ONCE-Eroski (Spa), 32 minutes, one second
2. US Postal (US), at 10 seconds
3. Ibanesto.com (Spa), 24
4. Kelme-Costa Blanca (Spa), 45
5. Quick Step.Davitamon (Bel), 48
6. Euskaltel-Euskadi (Spa), 50
7. Cofidis (Fra), 56
8. Team Bianchi (Ita), one min, one sec
9. Lampre (Ita), 1:03
10. Phonak Hearing Systems (Swi), 1:04