BBC Sport othersport


Related BBC sites

Page last updated at 13:30 GMT, Saturday, 19 June 2010 14:30 UK

Kingussie 5-4 Kilmallie

By Martin Conaghan


Kingussie won shinty's MacTavish Cup after battling back from a goal down in the second-half against Kilmallie.

Ryan Borthwick's second-minute strike gave Kingussie the lead then Ronald Ross made it two on 11 minutes.

Kilmallie's Liam MacDonald fired in a deflected shot, but Ross extended the lead with a solo effort on 31 minutes.

John Stewart, Michael Rodgers and MacDonald struck in succession to give Kilmallile the lead before Borthwick and Ross both netted for a late win.

The legendary Ross, who has scored more than 1000 career goals was delighted with the win, although admitted it was tough task coming back in the second half to win the match.

"It was nip and tuck. We were comfortable at half-time, and we had the wind the second half," said Ross.

we're just delighted with the win after last year's disappointment against Newtonmore

Kingussie's Ronald Ross

"We thought we could go out and get a few more, but it just didn't work out like that - Kilmallie came out in the second half and played really well.

"They were creating chances, but Andrew Borthwick made some great saves to keep us in.

"But that's the way it goes, and we're just delighted with the win after last year's disappointment against Newtonmore."

Ryan Borthwick, son of the Kingussie manager Stephen, struck from distance inside the first two minutes following a mistake by defender Iain Robertson to open the scoring.

Ross doubled the lead in the 11th minute, turning on the edge of the D and taking a touch before striking past the Killmallie keeper.

Kilmallie were back in the match after 18 minutes when man of the match MacDonald fired in from distance and keeper Borthwick deflected the ball into his own net.

Ross eventually notched up his second of the day in the 31st minute after working his way past the Kilmallie defence to strike home from close range.

Then Kingussie keeper Borthwick pulled off a fine save on the stroke of half-time to maintain the healthy lead.

No sooner had the second half started but Stewart had narrowed the gap to one goal when Kilmallie worked the ball up-field with four hits and he doubled his own tally with an angled drive.

With almost an hour played, MacDonald powered into the Kingussie penalty area and lined up Rodgers to strike, but his final ball was deflected out for a hit in.

Rodgers made amends moments later after Kingussie keeper Borthwick came out of his area and blundered a clearance then MacDonald gave Kilmallie the lead with a superbly-struck goal from the edge of the D.

Ryan Borthwick pulled things level for Kingussie in the 74th minute, despite having been accidentally struck on the head earlier in match.

Ross sealed a magnificent win for Kingussie with two minutes remaining after picking up a failed clearance in the Kilmallie penalty area and sliding the ball into the back of the net for a simple goal.

Ross was denied a hat-trick with the last hit of the ball when he missed an injury-time penalty, but the cup was already on its way to Kingussie.

Print Sponsor

see also
Fort William produce five-star show
03 May 10 |  Other sport...

related bbc links:

related internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


Sign in

BBC navigation

Copyright © 2019 BBC. The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.