BBC Sport othersport

Related BBC sites

Page last updated at 16:23 GMT, Saturday, 25 April 2009 17:23 UK

Guernsey beat Henley in HA Trophy

Hockey: Guernsey v Worthing
Allberry led Guernsey to their first ever national final

Guernsey lifted the Harrod UK Men's Trophy after beating Henley 4-3 at Luxborough Lane in Essex on Saturday.

Two goals from Guernsey player/coach Ben Allberry and one apiece for Adam Kitching and Damian Wallen were answered by one from Richard Wood and two for Alastair Slay.

It was the first time Guernsey had ever got past the quarter final stage.

Allberry told BBC Guernsey: "It is a culmination of everything we've worked hard towards and the guys deserve it."

Henley were first off the mark after 10 minutes when Richard Wood slotted the ball past the right of Guernsey's goalkeeper Nick Robilliard.

Damian Wallen brought the sides level 15 minutes later with a straight strike from the top of the D after the ball rebounded off the post.

Guernsey finished the first half with a spell of pressure resulting in the first penalty corner of the game, which Andy Alford hit just wide of the goal, and an Adam Kitching effort which was saved by Henley keeper Roy Cox.

Eight minutes into the second half Guernsey took the lead for the first time as Adam Kitching dived to flick the ball past Cox making it 2-1.

But three minutes later the sides were equal as Henley's Alastair Slay flicked a penalty corner home.

A fantastic through ball from Andy Whalley to Ben Allberry, who was in the D, was slotted home by the player/coach to give the greens a 3-2 lead.

Slay was obviously disappointed with himself when he sent wide a shot from a penalty corner - wasting one of Henley's good chances.

Guernsey went two ahead as a defender fell at the feet of Allberry blocking his shot and leading to a penalty flick which Allberry fired into the net.

On the hour mark Henley got a penalty corner, with Guernsey's Adie Peacegood getting a yellow card, but Slay's first shot was blocked by keeper Nick Robilliard and the rebound went back to Slay who hit it wide.

Henley brought it back to 4-3 with a penalty flick by Slay after a shove by one of the Guernsey defenders.

Peacegood, who had only just come back on, found himself with a second yellow card with only three minutes to go.

Guernsey put on some fresh legs for the last couple of minutes and held on to the ball and their one goal lead.

More than 50 islanders made the trip to Essex to support the side.

see also
In pictures - Guernsey v Henley
29 Apr 09 |  Other sport...
Numbers down for hockey festival
08 Apr 09 |  Other sport...
Guernsey Hockey secure final spot
06 Apr 09 |  Other sport...
Guernsey defeat Worthing 7-1
10 Mar 09 |  Other sport...
Guernsey go through to last eight
16 Feb 09 |  Other sport...
Golden goal victory for Guernsey
03 Nov 08 |  Other sport...

related bbc links:

related internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites