Scotland Wales Northern Ireland
BBC Homepage feedback | low graphics version
BBC Sport Online
You are in: Other Sports  
Front Page 
Results/Fixtures 
Football 
Cricket 
Rugby Union 
Rugby League 
Tennis 
Golf 
Motorsport 
Boxing 
Athletics 
Other Sports 
Statistics 
Sports Talk 
In Depth 
Photo Galleries 
Audio/Video 
TV & Radio 
BBC Pundits 
Question of Sport 
Funny Old Game 

Around The Uk

BBC News

BBC Weather

Tuesday, 15 May, 2001, 19:58 GMT 20:58 UK
IOC unveils TV plans
IOC Chief Executive Francois Carrard
IOC chief Francois Carrard announced the changes
The International Olympic Committee (IOC) is to establish its own TV broadcasting organisation for future Olympic Games.

The IOC executive board approved plans to develop a private company called International Broadcasting Services.

The new firm will succeed the Olympic Broadcasting Organisation, which is headed by Manolo Romero.


We will assume the functions of the host broadcaster
  Francois Carrard

The Spaniard will also front the new company, which will be based in Lausanne, and will take a 20% share, with the remaining 80% going to the IOC.

According to IOC director general Francois Carrard, the company will begin preparations in earnest for the 2008 Games.

"We will tell the host cities we are going to take care of the host broadcasting operation," said Carrard.

"We will assume the functions of the host broadcaster."

The host broadcasters provide video footage to TV rights holders from across the world.

But the new operation will set up a permanent body responsible for television rights at future Olympic Games.

Previously, each individual host city hired its own broadcasting company for coverage.

Search BBC Sport Online
Advanced search options
See also:

19 Feb 01 |  Other Sports
Seoul 'will not replace Athens'
02 Jan 01 |  SOL
China pleads for fair play
15 May 01 |  Other Sports
Olympic race hots up
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to top Other Sports stories are at the foot of the page.


Links to other Other Sports stories

^^ Back to top