Pistorius will not be able to compete in Beijing
Double amputee runner Oscar Pistorius has not been selected in South Africa's team for the Beijing Olympics.
Having failed to meet the qualifying time of 45.55 seconds for the 400m, the 21-year-old had targeted a place in the 4x400m relay team.
But Athletics South Africa president Leonard Chuene said on Friday four other runners had faster times.
Pistorius was cleared to run with able-bodied athletes by the Court of Arbitration for Sport in May.
It had previously been suggested that the IAAF was trying to discourage South African selectors from picking Pistorius.
IAAF general secretary Pierre Weiss claimed he presented a danger to other athletes in the relay.
Weiss had said: "It's a decision that rests with the officials of the federation and the South African Olympic Committee, but we'd prefer that they don't select him for reasons of safety."
IAAF communications director Nick Davies had added: "There is still a big issue over the prosthetics. We just don't have the resources to check every time he is running what he is using."
But the IAAF then issued a statement saying: "Mr Pistorius is welcome to seek qualification for the Olympics and future competitions under IAAF rules.
"The IAAF fully respects the recent CAS decision regarding the eligibility of Oscar Pistorius to compete in IAAF competitions, and certainly has no wish to influence the South African Olympic Committee, who has full authority to select a men's 4x400m relay team for the Beijing Olympics."
Despite finishing third in Lucerne with a personal best time of 46.25 seconds, Pistorius was just outside the Olympic standard.