Script to introduce Film 1 - The Games come to London
The Olympic and Paralympic Games are the biggest sporting events in the world. The 2012 Olympic Games will be held in London for the first time since 1948.
From the opening ceremony on July 27th, there will be six weeks of sport. Almost a million people from around the world will be coming to London to support 17,000 athletes from 205 countries as they go for gold.
In this film you'll find out more about the London Olympic and Paralympic Games and see inside the new stadium.
2012 Quiz - test the assembly's knowledge of the video. It may be useful to show the video again.
Find out about the 2012 Games from Mesuma and DJ. Duration 2,20.
- How many countries will compete at the Olympics?
- How many athletes will be taking part?
- What is the capacity of the Olympic Stadium?
- How many sports are part of the Olympic and Paralympic Games? How many can you name?
- How many Olympic gold medals will be awarded at the Games?
Would you rather compete in trampolining or taekwondo? Email your school's answer to
- Can you name any sports that will be new to the Olympics in 2012?
- Where are the other Olympic venues and which sports are they hosting?
- Which sport would you most like to see at the Olympics?
Script to introduce Film 2 - Olympic hopeful visits the Olympic Stadium
London is a cosmopolitan city and is home to people from all over the world, so there will be lots of support for the athletes from other countries. It's an opportunity for the world to come together at an exciting event.
The Olympic Creed reads "The most important thing in the Olympic Games is not to win but to take part... The essential thing is not to have conquered but to have fought well." Do you think sportspeople always take this attitude?
The London Olympics begin on July 27th and the Paralympics on the 29th August. Throughout 2012 athletes will begin arriving in to Britain to attend their national team training camps and prepare for the competition.
Namibian sprinter gets a tour of the Olympic Stadium. Duration 2,49.
Training camps are spread right across the country and give over a hundred towns and cities the chance to welcome different countries to their local areas.
Team Namibia's training camp will be in Glasgow in Scotland. This video shows what happened when Merlin Diamond, a young sprinter from Windhoek, Namibia's capital, visited the Olympic Stadium in London before being welcomed to Glasgow."
- Do you think sport has the power to bring people together?
- Why is the Olympic Creed important?
- How do you think Merlin will prepare for the Olympics?
- How do you think Merlin will feel when she competes in front of thousands of people in the Olympic Stadium?
- Why do you think it is important to support all countries in the Olympics?
- Are you excited about London 2012? What excites you the most?
Assembly Question - would you rather compete in trampolining or taekwondo? Email your answer to
This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.