"Gymnast Shawn Johnson won one gold medal and three silver for the USA at the 2008 Olympics when she was just 16 years old. Since Beijing Shawn has become well-known in the US for winning the equivalent of 'Strictly Come Dancing' and appearing on TV chat shows. Despite suffering a knee injury in 2009 she is now back in the gym and training hard to compete at London 2012. Now let's watch this film and find out how she's preparing to stage her comeback."
Shawn gets ready for 2012. Duration 3,00
- Who is Shawn Johnson?
- Shawn's dream is to win Olympic gold in 2012. What is your dream?
- What obstacles does she have to overcome to get there?
- What has she had to sacrifice to achieve her goals?
Script to introduce Film 2
"Shawn went to an ordinary day school in Iowa, a state in the middle of America.
She started gymnastics at her local club when she was six and started competing aged seven.
Is it better to win Olympic gold or Strictly Come Dancing? Email your school's answer to
When she was 13 she started at Valley Southwoods High and competed at the Olympics in Beijing while she was still at the school.
In this film Shawn explains how her school supported her and inspired her to succeed."
Gymnast's schooldays. Duration 2,20
- Why is it important to have a dream?
- What do you need to do to make your dream a reality?
- What obstacles are you likely to face?
- Is it better to have a dream or a plan?
- What might you have to sacrifice to achieve your goals?
Assembly Question - is it better to win Olympic gold or Strictly Come Dancing? Email your school's answer to
This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.