Skip to main contentAccess keys helpA-Z index

[an error occurred while processing this directive]
watch listen BBC Sport BBC Sport
Low graphics|Help
Last Updated: Sunday, 17 September 2006, 16:10 GMT 17:10 UK
Kerry 4-15 3-5 Mayo
Kerry's Tommy Griffin (right) and Mayo's Pat Harte
Tommy Griffin (right) gets the ball away despite Pat Harte's efforts
Kerry overwhelmed Mayo 4-15 to 3-5 in Sunday's Bank of Ireland All-Ireland Football Final at Croke Park.

Declan O'Sullivan and Kieran Donaghy goals helped the Kingdom lead 2-4 to 0-0 after 12 minutes although Kevin O'Neill then replied with a Mayo goal.

Colm Cooper slotted a third Kerry goal only for Pat Harte and O'Neill strikes to give Mayo hope as they cut the margin to 3-8 to 3-2 at half-time.

Eoin Brosnan's injury-time goal followed a more subdued second half.

Kerry showed their intent from the start with Mike Frank Russell knocking over a towering point in the opening minute.

Then came perhaps the crucial moment of the match when Kevin O'Neill had a glorious goal chance for Mayo but Kerry goalkeeper Diarmuid Murphy blocked the veteran's close-range effort.

Russell added a free for Kerry in the fifth minute and seconds later, the Mayo defence was ripped apart when recalled Kerry captain Declan O'Sullivan stroked the ball to the net after a one-two with Donaghy.

Two minutes later, a massacre looked on the cards when the Donaghy easily brushed aside David Heaney to win a high ball and hammered the ball to the net from 10 yards.

Further points from Sean O'Sullivan and Aidan O'Mahony left Kerry 2-4 to 0-0 ahead after only 12 minutes.

The Mayo management desperately attempted to stem the tide by bringing on substitute David Brady in an attempt to put the shackles on Donaghy with James Nallen departing.

Brady's game-plan was clear and a dubious challenge on Donaghy helped to set up a Mayo attack which was finished to the net by Kevin O'Neill after a great pass by Aidan Higgins.

Kieran Donaghy was devastating for Kerry in the crucial early stages
David Brady (right) tries to hang on to Kieran Donaghy

But Kerry were unperturbed and further points from Galvin and Donaghy were then followed by the third goal from Colm Cooper who was able to finish to the net at the second attempt in the 26th minute with the action almost taking place in slow motion.

Kerry's lead was a massive 12 points after 30 minutes when Seamus Moynihan pointed to extend their lead to 3-7 to 1-1.

However within five frantic minutes, Mayo were back in the game when they hit 2-1 without reply.

After Ciaran McDonald's successful free, Pat Harte firstly slotted to the net from close-range after an unselfish pass by O'Neill.

Seconds later, O'Neill hammered to the net himself after McDonald's long-range effort had fallen into his arms off the woodwork.

Declan O'Sullivan notched the final score before half-time to extend Kerry's lead to 3-8 to 3-2 but Mayo seemed back in the game.

However, they needed a fast start to the second half and it didn't come with Kerry notching the first three scores of the relatively subdued third quarter.

Eoin Brosnan, controversially left out of the Kingdom's starting line-up, was introduced at half-time and he looked to proving a point as he made a lively contribution which included a fine point.

Mayo had three good chances in the 15 minutes after the break but they all were squandered by a woefully off-form Ciaran McDonald.

To rub salt into McDonald's wounds, his marker Aidan O'Mahony was able to storm up field in the 48th minute to hammer his second point of the day and extend Kerry's lead to nine at 3-12 to 3-3.

The game was already over and Kerry were able to introduce five subs as they eased to a 4-15 to 3-5 win with Brosnan slotting in the Kingdom's final goal in injury-time as they claimed their 34th All-Ireland title.

Kerry: D Murphy, M O Se, M McCarthy, T O'Sullivan; T O Se, S Moynihan (0-1), A O'Mahony (0-2), D O Se, T Griffin; S O'Sullivan (0-1), Declan O'Sullivan capt (1-2), P Galvin (0-1), C Cooper (1-2), K Donaghy (1-2), MF Russell (0-2). Subs: E Brosnan (1-1)for T O Se h-t,. Darren O'Sullivan for Sean O'Sullivan 52, Brian Sheehan (0-1) for Russell 62, E Fitzmaurice for Griffin 67, B Guiney for O'Mahony 70.

Mayo: D Clarke, D Geraghty, D Heaney (capt), K Higgins, A Higgins, J Nallen, P Gardiner, R Garrity, P Harte (1-0), B J Padden (0-1), G Brady, A Dillon, K O'Neill (2-0), C Mortimer (0-3), C McDonald (0-1). Subs: D Brady for Nallen 12 mins, B Moran for O'Neill 48, T Mortimer for Dillon 48, A Kilcoyne for Padden 52, A Moran for Gardiner 60.

Referee: B Crowe (Cavan)








The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites

O'Connor savours All-Ireland win
17 Sep 06 |  Gaelic Games
All-Ireland final photos
17 Sep 06 |  Photo Galleries


Daily and weekly e-mails | Mobiles | Desktop Tools | News Feeds | Interactive Television | Downloads
Sport Homepage | Football | Cricket | Rugby Union | Rugby League | Tennis | Golf | Motorsport | Boxing | Athletics | Snooker | Horse Racing | Cycling | Disability sport | Olympics 2012 | Sport Relief | Other sport...

Help | Privacy & Cookies Policy | News sources | About the BBC | Contact us