Related BBC sites

Page last updated at 16:19 GMT, Sunday, 22 August 2010 17:19 UK

Dublin 1-14 1-15 Cork

Ray Carey and Bernard Brogan
Bernard Brogan hammers in Dublin's goal after drifting in behind Ray Carey

Cork produced a dramatic second-half comeback to clinch an All-Ireland Football semi-final victory over a shell-shocked Dublin at Croke Park.

Alan Brogan's goal gave Dublin a great start and the Dubs looked in control as they led 1-8 to 0-7 at half-time.

Dublin were still four ahead after 53 minutes but Donncha O'Connor's penalty got Cork back into the contest.

The Dubs edged three ahead again but Cork hit four late points as Dublin's Ross McConnell was sent off.

Graham Cantry was passed fit to start for Cork but he and his fellow defenders were to get off to a torrid start as Dublin netted a second-minute goal.

Bernard Brogan got in behind his marker Ray Carey to coolly slot past Alan Quirke after fielding a long ball from Niall Corkery.

Donncha O'Connor replied with a Cork point a minute later but both Brogan brothers were on target in the next 10 minutes as Dublin extended their lead to 1-3 to 0-2.

Dublin's direct tactics were causing problems for the Rebels defence while Cork's more ponderous approach play was making life easy for the opposition.

Bernard Brogan was on fire for Dublin and his 13th and 16th-minute points kept the Metropolitans four ahead, with Niall Goulding having pointed for Cork in the 14th minute.

However, Cork had squandered a goal chance as Stephen Cluxton spread himself to deny Pierce O'Neill.


Cork were unable to get any closer to the Dubs than three points during the remainder of the first half.

Bernard Brogan's cracking 32nd-minute point typified his brilliant opening period as he shot on the turn without even looking where the goals were.

And after Donncha O'Connor and Paul Kerrigan pointed to leave only a kick of the ball between the teams, Brogan had the final scoring say of the first half to leave the Dubs four ahead.

Kerrigan did almost snatch a goal out of nothing in first-half injury-time with an angled shot from 30 yards which beat Cluxton but crashed off the angle of the crossbar and post.

Canty, clearly not fit, was withdrawn at half-time with dual player Eoin Cadogan introduced to the Cork defence.

Both side missed good chances at the start of the second half before McConnell increased Dublin's lead to five in the 42nd minute.

Michael Shields' foray into the Cork attack only resulted in his side's 12th wide which summed up the Rebels' dismal shooting.

After another dreadful O'Connor miss, Goulding finally got Cork scoring again in the 47th minute but Bernard Brogan quickly replied to extend the margin to five again.

Paul Kerrigan tried to rally his colleagues with a mazy run which yielded a successful free for Goulding.

John Miskella and David Henry
Cork's John Miskella battles with Dublin's David Henry

Then came the pivotal moment of the match in the 53rd minute as impressive Cork sub Colm O'Neill made an immediate impact by winning a penalty as he was hauled down by Ross McConnell.

O'Connor, to his credit, kept his cool to send Cluxton the wrong way and it was game on as suddenly there was only only a point between the teams.

Bernard Brogan, inevitably, was the man to respond to Cork's goal as he lofted over another glorious point from near the right touchline.

Dublin's apparently calm response was continued by Bryan Cullen's superb 57th-minute point but O'Neill kept Cork hopes alive by lofting over with 10 minutes of normal time left.

Suddenly, there was only the minimum between the sides again in the 63rd minute as Paddy Kelly lashed over the bar after a quick Goulding free.

Conal Keaney and O'Connor pointed at either end to maintain Dublin's one-point advantage with three minutes of normal time left.

But Cork levelled with two minutes left as O'Connor slotted from 21 metres and incredibly the Rebels edged ahead in the final moment of normal time as the same player pointed after McConnell had been dismissed for his second yellow card for a wild lunge.

The mugging was complete in the second minute of injury-time as sub Derek Kavanagh slotted the insurance point against the stunned Dubs.

The outstanding Brogan kicked a point in the closing seconds but it was too late as Cork celebrated a remarkable victory.

It had not been Cork's greatest display but the gutsy manner of the victory suggests that they will be favourites going into next month's decider against Kildare or Down.

Cork: A Quirke, R Carey, M Shields, J Miskella, N O'Leary, G Canty, P Kissane, A O'Connor, A Walsh (0-1), P Kerrigan (0-1), P O'Neill, P Kelly (0-2), D Goulding (0-4), C Sheehan, D O'Connor (1-5). Subs: E Cadogan for Canty, N Murphy for A O'Connor, C O'Neill (0-1) for Sheehan, D Kavanagh (0-1) for Miskella, F Goold for O'Leary

Dublin: S Cluxton, M Fitzsimons, R O'Carroll, P McMahon (0-1), K Nolan, G Brennan, C O'Sullivan, R McConnell (0-1), MD McAuley (0-1), N Corkery, A Brogan (0-2), B Cullen (0-1), D Henry, E O'Gara, B Brogan (1-7). Subs: B Cahill for O'Sullivan, P Flynn for Henry, E Fennell for Corkery, C Keaney (0-1, f) for O'Gara, D Bastick for O'Carroll

Referee: M Deegan (Laois).

see also
Harte rues poor Tyrone finishing
31 Jul 10 |  Gaelic Games
Dublin 1-15 0-13 Tyrone
31 Jul 10 |  Gaelic Games
Down and Tyrone games on Saturday
26 Jul 10 |  Gaelic Games
Down 3-20 0-10 Sligo
24 Jul 10 |  Gaelic Games
Monaghan 0-7 1-14 Tyrone
18 Jul 10 |  Gaelic Games

related internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


Sign in

BBC navigation

Copyright © 2018 BBC. The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.