Related BBC sites

Page last updated at 17:08 GMT, Sunday, 2 November 2008

St Gall's 0-7 1-7 Cavan Gaels

Cavan Gaels' Daniel Graham and Philip O'Donnell
Daniel Graham and Philip O'Donnell celebrates Cavan Gaels' win

Fourteen-man Cavan Gaels snatched victory over wasteful and 13-man St Gall's in Sunday's Ulster Club SFC tie.

Michael Lyng's goal helped Gaels lead but Darren Rabbitte's dismissal enabled Gall's to level by the break.

Two Seanie Johnston points helped Cavan move three ahead but two CJ McGourty scores saw St Gall's drawing level.

Sean Burke was red carded as Gall's missed several chances and after Eamon Reilly, Niall Murray and Johnston hit points, Kevin McGourty was sent off.

Burke had picked up two yellow cards shortly after coming on as a substitute while a frustrated McGourty left the referee with no option but to give him a straight red card after flattening a Gaels player in injury-time.

McGourty had been on the receiving end of some rough treatment from Gaels and he also appeared to have been goaded throughout the contest.

Minor Niall Murray had a superb game in the Cavan Gaels attack while Johnston hit five of his team's scores.

However, St Gall's will wonder how they failed to set up an Ulster club semi-final with Ballinderry after dominating much of Sunday's contest.

The game was a niggly affair with numerous off-the-ball challenges and it wouldn't have been a surprise if more players had been sent off.

The key period of the match was midway through the second half after Gall's had hit three unanswered points to level the contest.

At that stage of the game, Gall's were in complete control but they were undone by failing to take several glorious chances.

Ciaran McGourty missed a goal opportunity while Karl Stewart and Aodhan Gallagher also wasted great chances.

After being under siege for several minutes, Cavan suddenly broke out of their own defence and Eamon Reilly snatched a lead score against the run of play four minutes from time.

Gall's responded by creating another goal chance but Owen Elliott saved Aodhan Gallagher's weak shot.

Another Cavan breakaway was finished off by a superb Murray score before Kevin McGourty wasted another Gall's chance.

The frustrated Gall's player then got his straight red card after blatantly lashing out at an opponent.

In the fourth minute of injury-time, Murray won a free and Johnston struck his fifth point to complete the scoring.

see also
St Gall's progress to last eight
19 Oct 08 |  Gaelic Games


Sign in

BBC navigation

Copyright © 2017 BBC. The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.