Related BBC sites

Page last updated at 16:30 GMT, Sunday, 2 November 2008

Clonoe 1-8 2-10 St Eunan's

Brendan Devenney tries to hold off Emmett Teague at Coalisland
Emmett Teague (right) lined out despite being handed a 32-week ban

St Eunan's averted the possibility of major controversy in the AIB Ulster Club Championship by beating Clonoe in Sunday's clash at Coalisland.

Clonoe used a loophole to play banned pair Emmett Teague and Colm Doris in the game and Doris was on target as the Tyrone men led 1-6 to 1-5 at half-time.

Ryan O'Neill hit the Clonoe goal while David McGinley netted for St Eunan's.

Ciaran Sharkey's 54th-minute penalty was the crucial second-half score as Eunan's ran out deserved winners.

Teague was handed a 32-week ban for his retaliatory headbutt on Dromore boss Noel McGinn in last weekend's Tyrone SFC decider while Doris got an eight-week ban.

However, both played in Sunday's game as their appeals against their suspensions have yet to be heard by the Tyrone county board.

Clonoe launched the appeals on Friday and Tyrone's disciplinary chiefs are not scheduled to hear the cases until Thursday next.

Sunday's episode will be another disciplinary embarrassment for the GAA with the Clonoe club, apparently, able to drive a coach and horses through the association's rulebook.

David McGinley (left) is challenged by Clonoe's Aidan Brady
David McGinley (left) scored one of St Eunan's goals at Coalisland

Back to the game and Brendan Devenney hit the opening two scores of the game for Eunan's before Stephen McNulty replied for Clonoe.

Ryan O'Neill's goal then put Clonoe ahead and they led by three (1-2 to 0-2) before Rory Kavanagh got Eunan's scoring again.

David McGinley then hit the Donegal champions' opening goal only for Doris to bring the sides levels again.

Helped by a Ryan T O'Neill score, Clonoe led by 1-6 to 1-5 at the interval with Devenney having notched four first-half frees for Eunan's.

St Eunan's levelled through a Ross Wherrity score after the break and they soon charged into a two-point lead.

Stephen McNulty pointed to reduce the margin to the minimum but the crucial score then came six minutes from time.

Brendan Devenney slammed the ball to the empty net but a penalty had already been awarded for a foul on Conal Dunne.

Ciaran Sharkey held his nerve to squeeze the ball past the Clonoe goalkeeper Mickey O'Neill and further late points from Sharkey and Ross Wherrity helped ensure a deserved Eunan's victory.

see also
McGinn handed 72-week suspension
29 Oct 08 |  Gaelic Games
Clonoe 0-10 0-9 Dromore
26 Oct 08 |  Gaelic Games

related internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


Sign in

BBC navigation

Copyright © 2017 BBC. The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.