Related BBC sites

Page last updated at 16:39 GMT, Sunday, 25 May 2008 17:39 UK

Fermanagh 2-8 0-10 Monaghan

O'Rourke praises hard work of Fermanagh

Fermanagh's Tommy McElroy gets ahead of Vincent Corey
Fermanagh's Tommy McElroy gets ahead of Vincent Corey

Fermanagh claimed a surprise Ulster SFC quarter-final victory over the Farney county at Brewster Park on Sunday.

Liam McBarron netted for the Erne side after three minutes and Fermanagh went on to dominate the first half and hold a 1-5 to 0-4 lead at the break.

Monaghan reduced the gap to a point but Fermanagh went on to earn a comfortable win after Ciaran McElroy scored their second goal on 54 minutes.

Monaghan's Gary McQuaid was red-carded late on for striking Shane McCabe.

Fermanagh's quick start was rewarded when McBarron pushed the ball into the net from close range after Eamon Maguire's fisted effort struck a post.

It set the tone for the remainder of the half although Monaghan were next to score through a Conor McManus point.

Ryan Keenan restored the three-point margin with a free before Thomas Freeman and Paul Finlay fired over points for the Farney men.

There was now just a point in it but Ciaran McElroy, Keenan and Maguire slotted over to restore Fermanagh's grip on the game.

McBarron was denied a second goal by Dessie Mone's excellent block and seconds later Monaghan forward Vincent Corey registered his first score.


Fermanagh ended the first half on a high with Marty McGrath finishing a classy move.

Not surprisingly Monaghan made a change at the break with Ciaran Hanratty replacing Rory Woods in attack.

The visitors showed new-found urgency at the start of the second half and points from Thomas Freeman, Eoin Lennon and Finlay made it a one-point game.

But the Erne side hit back with a Keenan free and Mark Little point although Monaghan were soon back on the scoresheet through Hanratty.

Man-of-the-Match Marty McGrath gives his thoughts on Fermanagh's victory

A close game became one-sided in an instant on 54 minutes when McElroy nipped in between keeper Paraic Duffy and a defender to fist home after Keenan's attempt at a point fell short of goal.

Shane McCabe, the Glentoran soccer player brought on as a substitute, superbly pointed from a tight angle to put Fermanagh six clear.

Frees from Thomas Freeman and Finlay suggested a possible comeback but those hopes ended with two minutes left when McQuaid received a straight red card.

Fermanagh will play the winners of next weekend's game between Donegal and Derry.

Fermanagh: R Gallagher, S Goan, H Brady, P Sherry; D Kelly, R McCluskey, T McElroy; M Murphy, L McBarron (1-0); R Keenan (0-3), J Sherry, M Little (0-1); E Maguire (0-1), M McGrath (capt) (0-1), C McElroy (1-1). Subs: S McCabe (0-1) for J Sherry, M Keenan for C McElroy, S McDermott for Brady.

Monaghan: S Duffy; D Mone, JP Mone, D McArdle; D Freeman, G McQuaid, D Morgan; E Lennon (0-1), P Finlay (0-3); D Clerkin, S Gollogly, C McManus (0-1); R Woods, V Corey (0-1), T Freeman (0-3).Subs: C Hanratty (0-1) for Woods, D Hughes (blood) for D Freeman, Hughes for Morgan, Woods for Gollogly.

Referee: D Fahy (Longford)


Preliminary round

First round



The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites

see also
O'Rourke joy as Ernemen progress
25 May 08 |  Gaelic Games
BBC NI set for bumper GAA summer
19 Feb 08 |  Gaelic Games
Tyrone reclaim the Anglo-Celt Cup
17 Jul 07 |  Gaelic Games

related bbc links:


Sign in

BBC navigation

Copyright © 2019 BBC. The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.