Skip to main contentAccess keys helpA-Z index

watch listenBBC Sport BBC Sport
Low graphics|Help
Last Updated: Sunday, 4 November 2007, 16:30 GMT
Clontibret 1-7 1-8 Crossmaglen
Tempers flared after the final whistle at Clones
As tempers flared the ref received a Garda escort off the field
Crossmaglen edged a stormy AIB Ulster Club SFC encounter at Clones.

Oisin McConville missed a penalty and Cross then had John Donaldson sent off but JP Mone's own goal helped Cross lead 1-3 to 0-4 at the interval.

Cross moved ahead by four but Vinny Corey's goal gave Clontibret hope and they had a last-ditch '45 to level.

They took it short and referee Martin Sludden blew up and, after a brawl, Crossmaglen's Cathal Shortt and Eoin Greenan of Clontibret were red carded.

Clontibret clearly were not aware that the '45 was the last kick of the game and while Dessie Mone was clearly fouled after receiving the ball, referee Sludden had already blown the final whistle.


With fists flying in the moments after the game, Sludden required a Garda escort as he made his way to the dressing-rooms.

Crossmaglen made the better start with Oisin McConville and John McEntee hitting the opening two scores.

Two Conor McManus points had Clontibret level by the ninth minute but Cross then won their first penalty.

McConville hit the woodwork with the spot-kick and the former All Star then hit the rebound wide.

With Dessie Mone, JP Mone and Vincent Corey starting to take a grip around the middle, Clontibret then went ahead with Corey notching the score.

Clontibret's Dessie Mone (left) and Crossmaglen's John McEntee
Clontibret's Dessie Mone tries to fend off John McEntee

Things looked even bleaker for Crossmaglen when Donaldson received his marching orders after he had lashed out at Dessie Mone.

Mone had committed a clumsy foul on John McEntee but Donaldson's over-reaction gave Martin Sludds no option but to produce the red card.

However as so often happens, losing a man seemed to rally the affected team.

The impressive Martin Aherne levelled in the 27th minute and Cross then won their second penalty when McConville was hauled down.

David McKenna took the penalty and while his shot was brilliantly saved by goalkeeper Paul McElroy, the ball rebounded off JP Mone and into the net.

Leading 1-3 to 0-4 at the break, points from McConville and Aherne increased Cross' lead to five early in the second half.

However, Vinny Corey's great goal after his own superb run got Clontibret back into the game.

A Conville score and Tony Kernan's '45 helped Cross move three clear again but Clontibret hit two late scores to leave the minimum between the sides.

Then came the late '45 controversy and the Ulster Council will await Sludden's take on the incidents which followed the final whistle.

Crossmaglen 0-12 0-6 Pearse Og
30 Sep 07 |  Gaelic Games
Clontibret retain Monaghan title
21 Oct 07 |  Gaelic Games
McConville talks of gambling hell
18 Sep 07 |  Gaelic Games

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Daily and weekly e-mails | Mobiles | Desktop Tools | News Feeds | Interactive Television | Downloads
Sport Homepage | Football | Cricket | Rugby Union | Rugby League | Tennis | Golf | Motorsport | Boxing | Athletics | Snooker | Horse Racing | Cycling | Disability sport | Olympics 2012 | Sport Relief | Other sport...

Help | Privacy & Cookies Policy | News sources | About the BBC | Contact us