Skip to main contentAccess keys helpA-Z index

[an error occurred while processing this directive]
watch listenBBC Sport BBC Sport
Low graphics|Help
Last Updated: Saturday, 5 August 2006, 14:39 GMT 15:39 UK
Armagh 1-13 3-15 Kerry
Steven McDonnell
Steven McDonnell fires into the net in the quarter-final
Kerry's superb second-half display sent Ulster champions Armagh crashing to defeat in Saturday's All-Ireland quarter-final at Croke Park.

Eoin Brosnan's goal gave Kerry an early lead but Armagh hit back and a Steven McDonnell goal helped the Orchard side to a 1-7 to 1-5 advantage at half-time.

The Kingdom were transformed after the break and moved clear after Kieran Donaghy netted from close range.

Kerry's Paul Galvin was sent-off before Darren O'Sullivan added a third goal.

The first half was played at a frenetic pace and Armagh made an excellent start with points from Ronan Clarke and McDonnell.

But Kerry hit back in the best possible way on three minutes when Brosnan toe-poked the ball into the bottom corner of the Orchard net.

Sean O'Sullivan doubled Kerry's lead only for Armagh to draw level through John McEntee and Oisin McConville.

Four points were exchanged before Armagh moved three points ahead with McDonnell's 21st minute goal.

Ciaran McKeever's long ball was diverted by Clarke into McDonnell's path and the attacker rounded keeper Diarmuid Murphy before slotting into an empty net.

There was drama late in the half when Armagh keeper Paul Hearty made a superb double-save, although he was forced to tip Mike Frank Russell's shot over the bar to leave two points between the sides at the break.

Kerry made a dream start to the second half, scoring five points without reply including Donaghy's goal on 39 minutes.

The big Kerry attacker outmuscled Francie Bellew before blasting into the net from close range.

McConville's free failed to halt Kerry's charge and a further three points were added to give them a 2-10 to 1-8 advantage.

Armagh fought back to within two points and Kerry were reduced to 14 men when Paul Galvan was dismissed for two yellow cards.

But Kerry substitute Darren O'Sullivan delivered the killer blow five minutes from time when he went clear before smashing the ball past Hearty and high into the Armagh net.

Armagh: P Hearty, A Mallon, F Bellew, E McNulty, A Kernan, C McKeever, P Duffy, K McGeeney, P McGrane, capt, M O'Rourke, J McEntee, M Mackin, S McDonnell, R Clarke, O McConville.

Kerry: D Murphy, M O Se, M McCarthy, T O'Sullivan, T O Se, S Moynihan, A O'Mahony, D O Se, T Griffin, S O'Sullivan, E Brosnan, P Galvin, C Cooper, K Donaghy, MF Russell.

Referee: D Coldrick (Meath)

Quarter-final photos
05 Aug 06 |  Photo Galleries
Clockwatch: Armagh v Kerry
05 Aug 06 |  Gaelic Games


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Daily and weekly e-mails | Mobiles | Desktop Tools | News Feeds | Interactive Television | Downloads
Sport Homepage | Football | Cricket | Rugby Union | Rugby League | Tennis | Golf | Motorsport | Boxing | Athletics | Snooker | Horse Racing | Cycling | Disability sport | Olympics 2012 | Sport Relief | Other sport...

Help | Privacy & Cookies Policy | News sources | About the BBC | Contact us