Scotland Wales Northern Ireland
BBC Homepage feedback | low graphics version
BBC Sport Online
You are in: Northern Ireland  
Front Page 
Rugby Union 
Rugby League 
Other Sports 
Sports Talk 
In Depth 
Photo Galleries 
TV & Radio 
BBC Pundits 
Question of Sport 
Funny Old Game 

Around The Uk

BBC News

BBC Weather

BBC NI's Jackie Fullerton on Celtic's visit to Derry City
 real 56k

Monday, 2 October, 2000, 22:02 GMT 23:02 UK
Celtic pack the Brandywell
Martin O'Neill
Martin O'Neill addresses the crowd at the Brandywell
Derry City 1 Celtic 2

Celtic's visit to the Brandywell on Monday evening helped cash-strapped Derry City to the tune of approximately 70,000.

Over 9,000 supporters packed in to the Londonderry venue to see Celtic claiming a 2-1 win over a spirited Derry City team.

The occasion had a carnival atmosphere with local man Martin O'Neill getting a fantastic welcome from the home fans.

Kilrea man O'Neill addressed the crowd before the match and said that he hoped the evening would hasten a new era of financial stability for the club.

Call time

Such was the excitement in the closing stages, that the match referee decided to call time on the game with six minutes of normal time left.

At that stage, local youngsters had started to spill out on the pitch and in the interests of safety, both teams were quickly ushered to the dressing-rooms by match stewards.

Chris Sutton
Chris Sutton holds off Peter Hutton

Celtic opening the scoring in the 13th minute with Norwegian star Vidar Riseth slotting home a penalty after Derry's Paddy McLaughlin had felled Bobby Petta in the box.

In-form Chris Sutton nearly extended Celtic's advantage five minutes before the interval but his effort came back off a post.

Star attraction

The half-time interval was highlighted by a charity penalty competition where former Derry City player and Derry GAA player Anthony Tohill was the star attraction.

Within a minute of the restart, City were level after Sean Hargan headed home an Eddie McCallion free-kick.

Vidar Riseth
Vidar Riseth wins an aerial challenge

Celtic's winner came in the 63rd minute with reserve Tadhg Moriarity hitting the decisive goal.

An effort by Derry substitute Brendan Devlin was ruled out for offside in the 82nd minute.

In the excitement a number of spectators made their way out onto their pitch and the match officials wisely decided to call a halt to the carnival evening.

Search BBC Sport Online
Advanced search options
See also:

02 Oct 00 |  Northern Ireland
Payback time for O'Neill
01 Oct 00 |  Scot Prem
Larsson saves Celtic record
Internet links:

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to top Northern Ireland stories are at the foot of the page.

Links to other Northern Ireland stories

^^ Back to top