Luc Alphand consolidated his lead in the Dakar Rally by edging out Carlos Sainz to win the 13th stage.
Large crowds swarm around Alphand's car in Guinea
The Frenchman's Mitsubishi covered the route between Guinea and Senegal 50 seconds quicker than Sainz, with South African Giniel De Villiers third.
But the day was tinged by tragedy when a 10-year-old boy was killed in Guinea after being hit by a competing car.
The child, who had come with parents to watch the rally pass Kourahoye village, was hit as he crossed the road.
"He immediately received treatment from the medical staff of the rally but died during his transfer by helicopter to Labe," said the organisers.
Australian motorcyclist Andy Caldecott died in a crash during the ninth stage.
Friday's accident happened at the 25km point of the run from Labe in Guinea towards Tambacounda in eastern Senegal.
In the bike category, Giovanni Sala won the stage, with Cyril Despres second and Alain Duclos third.
Marc Coma, who finished fourth, still has the overall lead.
Jean De Azevedo, who was eighth overall before the start of the day, was forced to retire injured after crashing.
The Dakar Rally, which started on 31 December, crosses seven countries and covers more than 9,000km, ends on Sunday in the Senegalese capital.
Stage 13 result:
1. Luc Alphand (Fra) Mitsubishi 4:30:15
2. Carlos Sainz (Sp) Volkswagen at 00:50secs
3. Giniel De Villiers (SA) Volkswagen at 01:42
4. Bruno Saby (Fr) Volkswagen at 10:19
5. Nani Roma (Sp) Mitsubishi at 11:45
6. Thierry Magnaldi (Fr) Schles-Ford-Raid at 14:28
7. Carlos Sousa (Por) Nissan at 18:55
8. Eric Vigouroux (Fr) Chevrolet at 28:19
9. Jean-Louis Schlesser (Fr) Schles-Ford-Raid at 29:37
10. Jose-Luis Monterde (Sp) BMW at 31:58
1. Luc Alphand (Fr) Mitsubishi 46:25:52
2. Giniel de Villiers (SA) Volkswagen 46:46:23
3. Nani Roma (Sp) Mitsubishi 47:46:38
4. Stephane Peterhansel (Fr) Mitsubishi 49:16:57
5. Mark Miller (US) Volkswagen 49:25:45
Stage 13 motorcycle result:
1. Giovanni Sala (It) KTM 5:03:49
2. Cyril Despres (Fr) KTM 5:07:01
3. Alain Duclos (Fr) KTM 5:07:21
4. Marc Coma (Sp) KTM 5:08:24
5. Jonah Street (US) KTM 5:10:17
6. Jordi Viladoms (Sp) KTM 5:11:54
7. David Fretigne (Fr) Yamaha 5:11:56
8. Chris Blais (US) KTM 5:13:48
9. Helder Rodrigues (Por) Yamaha 5:15:04
10. Paulo Goncalves (Por) Honda 5:16:29
1. Marc Coma (Sp) KTM 52:09:45
2. Cyril Despres (Fr) KTM 52:41:01
3. Giovanni Sala (It) KTM 53:50:25
4. Chris Blais (US) KTM 54:21:59
5. Alain Duclos (Fr) KTM 56:07:17