Defending champion Stephane Peterhansel got his Dakar Rally campaign up and running by winning the fifth stage.
Peterhansel has won the last two Dakar titles in the car section
The Mitsubishi driver completed the 350-km stage through Morocco's trails 72 seconds ahead of American Mark Miller and Spaniard Nani Roma.
Dakar debutant and two-time world rally champion Carlos Sainz retained the overall lead.
The KTM riders filled the top nine places in the motorbike race with Cyril Despres the first to finish.
The Frenchman won the stage ahead of Spain's Marc Coma, who stayed in the overall lead.
The leg was hampered at times by heavy weather conditions.
The 15-stage race leaves Morocco on Thursday for a 792-km drive from Tan Tan to Zouerat.
Stage five results(Quarzazate to Tan Tan, 350km)
1. Stephane Peterhansel (Fra) Mitsubishi, 3 hrs, 34 mins, 40 secs
2. Marc Miller (US) Volkswagen, at 1:12
3. Nani Roma (Spa) Mitsubishi at 2:20
4. Jean-Louis Schlesser (Fra) Schles-Ford-Raid at 4:11
5. Giniel de Villiers (SA) Volkswagen at 4:27
1. Cyril Despres (Fra) KTM 3hr 47min 40sec
2. Marc Coma (Spa) KTM at 3min 41sec
3. Isidre Esteve Pujol (Spa) KTM at 5:18
4. Ruben Faria (Por) KTM at 8:14
5. Carlo De Gavardo (Chi) KTM at 8:21
Leading overall positions after stage five
1. Carlos Sainz (Spa) Volkswagen 13:04:57
2. Jutta Kleinschmidt (Ger) Volkswagen 13:06:25
3. Luc Alphand (Fra) Mitsubishi 13:07:04
4. Mark Miller (US) Volkswagen 13:07:13
5. Giniel de Villiers (SA) Volkswagen 13:07:18
1. Marc Coma (Spa) KTM 14hr 09min 18sec
2. Cyril Despres (Fra) KTM at 1:25
3. Isidre Esteve Pujol (Spa) KTM at 6:28
4. Carlo De Gavardo (Chi) KTM at 11:52
5. Andy Caldecott (Aus) KTM at 26:54