Citroen's Carloz Sainz won the Rally of Argentina to take his tally of titles to 26, eclipsing the record he shared with Britain's Colin McRae.
Sainz made a splash in Argentina
The Spaniard finished ahead of fellow Citroen driver Sebastien Loeb with Francois Duval third in a Ford Focus.
Sainz did not win a stage on the final day, but instead opted to steer clear of trouble before winning by one minute 32.5 seconds.
France's Loeb consolidated his lead in the overall standings.
Sainz conceded he felt justice had been done after he narrowly missed out on victory in Argentina last year when he picked up a time penalty.
"Yes it's revenge," admitted the rally veteran.
"Not only on last season but also on all those other rallies I've missed out on by a whisker. I only thought of the record once I'd crossed the finish line."
Loeb won the day's first stage but from then on, like Sainz, took a cautious approach to ensure he streched his chamionship lead over Petter Solberg.
His position was never under threat from Duval, who finished more than four minutes off the lead.
Mikko Hirvonnen claimed fourth place for Subaru while Peugeot's Harri Rovanpera, the fastest man on the day with three stage wins, finishing fifth.
With 38 drivers retiring from the rally, there were some unusual names among
the points scorers.
Local driver Luis Companc Perez was sixth, just ahead of Gilles Pannizi, who
took rare points for Mitsubishi in their first season back on the world stage
after a brief absence.
Antony Warmbold claimed the final point for eighth in his Ford.
1. Carlos Sainz (Spa) Citroen Xsara four hours 23 minuntes 11 seconds
2. Sebastien Loeb (Fra) Citroen Xsara at one minunte 32.5
3. Francois Duval (Bel) Ford Focus at 4:23.5
4. Mikko Hirvonen (Fin) Subaru Impreza at 8:27.7
5. Harri Rovanpera (Fin) Peugeot 307 at 9:59.9
6. Luis Perez Compans (Arg) Peugeot 206 at 16:24.7
7. Gilles Panizzi (Fra) Mitsubishi Lancer at 17:39.0
8. Gabriel Pozzo (Arg) Subaru Impreza at 20:38.6
9. Antony Warmbold (Ger) Ford Focus at 22:17.4
10. Daniel Sola (Spa) Mitsubishi Lancer at 22:21.4