BBC Sport formula1

IN ASSOCIATION WITH

Related BBC sites

Page last updated at 09:37 GMT, Thursday, 9 September 2010 10:37 UK

Thursday's F1 gossip column

BBC Sport brings you a regular round-up of the gossip in newspapers and on specialist websites around the world.


McLaren's Jenson Button

McLaren driver Jenson Button insists he has lost none of his motivation to succeed in F1 since claiming last season's drivers' world title.

"I'm still going into every practice session, qualifying and race with the same hope I can win that race," said Button, whose relaxed style has led some to question his application. "I know I'm just as passionate about it now as I was last year, and that's because I don't think there is a driver here who works any harder than me."
Full story: planetf1.com

Red Bull's Sebastian Vettel says he will not shy away from attempting the same manoeuvre that knocked McLaren rival Jenson Button out of the Belgian Grand Prix if that is what is required for him to win this weekend's race in Italy.

Vettel, who apologised to Button for crashing into him in Spa, thus taking both of them out of the points and further adrift of championship leader Lewis Hamilton, said: "We drivers take part in a race because we obviously want to win it. Therefore you have to attack and if you wait and stay back you might miss a good opportunity."
Full story: Associated Press

After the disappointment of retiring on the first lap of his historic 300th grand prix at Spa on 29 August, Williams driver Rubens Barrichello is hoping to make amends in this weekend's Italian Grand Prix at Monza - a track the Brazilian says he "loves".
Full story: grandprix.com

After seeing his hopes of returning to F1 as part of his own team ended by the FIA's decision not to grant a licence to a 13th team for the 2011 season, former world champion Jacques Villeneuve is considering an alternative strategy to compete next year.

"We will now go back to our original plan, which was our Plan B," explained Villeneuve. "That's to say the takeover of one of the teams already in place; it'll enable us to further develop the solid structure we already have in place with investors who trust us."
Full story: Rue Frontenac (Canadian publication)

Force India owner Vijay Mallya has described the decision to stage an F1 race in India next year as "a dream come true".

"As an Indian, I feel proud and walk tall amongst the world's motor sports community. There are a maximum of 20 F1 Grand Prix races worldwide each year and it is a matter of pride that India is on the list," said Mallya.
Full story: Press Association

Former Hispania driver Karun Chandhok has expressed his delight at the confirmation that his native India will host a grand prix during the next F1 season.

"This is truly a historic moment for Indian motorsport and I am extremely excited to be a part of it," said Chandhok, who is acting as an advisor to the Jaypee group overseeing the construction of the circuit near Delhi, which will host the race on 30 October 2011.
Full story: autosport.com

McLaren have lent their full support to plans to introduce 1.6 litre, four cylinder turbo engines to F1. The new formula appears to have the backing of most teams, as the smaller capacity engines with restricted fuel flow will be more relevant to the future of road-car technology than the current V8s.
Full story: espnf1.com

International law firm DLA Piper has announced it is taking legal action against Hispania Racing over unpaid legal fees. "These fees have been outstanding for more than a year," revealed John Everett of DLA Piper. "They have given us no reason for non-payment. We are forced to the conclusion that they are unable to pay and hence are commencing such proceedings."
Full story: pitpass.com

Red Bull's Mark Webber says he does not consider himself favourite to win this season's drivers' championship, despite driving what appears to be the fastest car on the grid.

Webber, who is is second in the standings with six races left and three points behind McLaren rival Lewis Hamilton, added: "There's some situations going forward that Lewis won't have experienced that I have, but there will be certainly be some that I haven't experienced that he has."
Full story: autosport.com

Spaniard Fernando Alonso admits he has "made many mistakes" throughout the course of this year's F1 season, but claims that driving for Ferrari means he is under greater scrutiny and any errors count double.

But Alonso, who says he has not given up hope of winning the drivers' title despite the 41 point-gap between him and championship leader Lewis Hamilton, added: "Ferrari has more heart, more passion, more familiarity. I hope it always stays that way. To win in a Ferrari means making millions of people happy all over the world, it's a unique feeling."
Full story: Gazzetta dello Sport



Print Sponsor


see also
Wednesday's F1 gossip column
08 Sep 10 |  Formula 1
Tuesday's F1 gossip column
07 Sep 10 |  Formula 1
Monday's F1 gossip column
06 Sep 10 |  Formula 1
Sunday's F1 gossip column
05 Sep 10 |  Formula 1


related bbc links:

related internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites