Piquet is considering options in the aftermath of Renault's race-fixing scandal
Nelson Piquet Jr is considering a move to Nascar's pickup truck racing series after his involvement in the Renault race-fixing scandal.
The Brazilian escaped punishment for deliberately crashing in last year's Singapore Grand Prix but would seem to have little future in Formula One.
He told his own website he would test for Red Horse Racing next week.
The Red Horse team said the 24-year-old Brazilian planned to "evaluate a future among the Nascar ranks."
Piquet is due to test with compatriot and IndyCar Series driver Vitor Meira at Rockingham Speedway in North Carolina next Monday.
Red Horse team chief Tom DeLoach said he believed the Brazilian duo were up to the challenge of adapting to the new sport.
"It's not an easy thing to do, to go from an open wheel background to racing stock cars, but they are both immensely talented and have the ability to be successful in any series they chose to race in," he added.
Piquet caused one of the biggest scandals in F1 history when, after being dropped by Renault, he revealed he had been asked by senior figures in the team to deliberately crash in last year's Singapore Grand Prix to aid team-mate Fernando Alonso, who was unaware of the plan.
Renault team boss Flavio Briatore was banned from F1 for life for his role, while the team was given a suspended ban.
Piquet was given immunity in return for his testimony, but managers of many other teams have made it clear they would not be interested in hiring him.