BBC Sport formula1

IN ASSOCIATION WITH

Related BBC sites

Page last updated at 19:53 GMT, Thursday, 24 September 2009 20:53 UK

Renault suffer twin sponsor blow

Renault Formula 1 car
ING branding has been removed from Renault cars ahead of the Singapore GP

Renault have been hit by the news that title sponsor ING will end its contract with the Formula 1 team immediately.

The Dutch-based financial group planned to pull out at the end of the season but will now leave four races early.

The move follows the race-fixing scandal that resulted in a suspended ban for the former world champions.

Renault, who have pledged to stay in the sport despite the bad publicity, had already lost the backing of Spanish insurance firm Mutua Madrilena.

It asked for its name to be removed from Renault's cars on Thursday.

ING was the largest sponsor on Renault's books, providing more than half their total sponsorship revenues according to some estimates.

606: DEBATE
RM

A report by industry monitor Formula Money earlier this year put ING's contribution to the sport at some $86m (£53m) last season, with $65m (£40m) going to Renault.

"In light of the verdict of the World Motor Sport Council of 21 September 2009 concerning the events that occurred at the 2008 Singapore Grand Prix, ING will terminate the contract with Renault Formula One with immediate effect," the company said.

"ING is deeply disappointed at this turn of events, especially in the context of an otherwise successful sponsorship."

Mutua Madrilena announced earlier on Thursday they had withdrawn their sponsorship from the team for similar reasons.

Alonso will continue to receive the backing of Mutua Madrilena
Alonso will continue to receive the backing of Mutua Madrilena

The company said the decision would have no impact on its sponsorship contract with Spain's double world champion Fernando Alonso, who is expected to move to Ferrari for 2010.

"Mutua Madrilena believes the conduct of the relevant people in the team was of extraordinary seriousness and not only compromised the integrity of the sport but also put the physical safety of spectators, drivers and circuit personnel at risk," the company said in a statement.

"This could affect the image, reputation and good name of the team's sponsors."

Renault were given a two-year suspended ban from Formula 1 for their role in fixing last year's Singapore Grand Prix.

The FIA, the sport's governing body, also banned ex-Renault boss Flavio Briatore for life and suspended former engineering head Pat Symonds for five years for ordering Brazilian Nelson Piquet Jr to crash.

All three individuals implicated in the scandal have since left Renault, but the changes have arrived too late to save two of the team's key sponsorships.

Alonso, who won the Singapore Grand Prix after the safety car was deployed, was cleared of any involvement.



Print Sponsor


see also
Briatore ban too harsh - F1 boss
24 Sep 09 |  Formula 1
Button rejects cautious approach
24 Sep 09 |  Formula 1
Reeling Renault to continue in F1
24 Sep 09 |  Formula 1
Witness X sealed Briatore's fate
23 Sep 09 |  Formula 1
Renault handed suspended F1 ban
21 Sep 09 |  Formula 1
Piquet Jr 'sorry' for race-fixing
21 Sep 09 |  Formula 1
Renault blames Briatore & Symonds
17 Sep 09 |  Formula 1
Briatore out over Renault fix row
16 Sep 09 |  Formula 1
Renault to launch Piquet lawsuit
11 Sep 09 |  Formula 1
Alonso 'surprised' by fix claim
10 Sep 09 |  Formula 1
Piquet Jr dropped by Renault team
04 Aug 09 |  Formula 1


related bbc links:

related internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites


BBC navigation

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.