BBC Sport formula1

IN ASSOCIATION WITH

Related BBC sites

Page last updated at 13:52 GMT, Tuesday, 23 June 2009 14:52 UK

Mosley hits back at calls to quit

Max Mosley
Mosley is determined to defend himself and the Federation against Fota

Max Mosley has hinted he will resist calls to quit as president of the FIA and instead stand for re-election as the row engulfing Formula 1 goes on.

Mosley indicated last year, in the wake of the revelations into his private life, that his current mandate - which expires in October - would be his last.

But in the wake of his dispute with the Formula 1 Teams' Association he says he would be happy to run for a fifth term.

"It is for the FIA membership to decide on its elected leader," he said.

"Over recent weeks it has become increasingly clear that one of the objectives of the dissident teams is that I should resign as president of the FIA.

"Last year you offered me your confidence and, as I wrote to you on 16 May 2008, it was my intention not to seek re-election in October this year.

F1 MOLE BLOG

"However, in light of the attack on the mandate you have entrusted to me, I must now reflect on whether my original decision not to stand for re-election was indeed the right one.

"It is for the FIA membership, and the FIA membership alone, to decide on its democratically elected leadership, not the motor industry and still less the individuals the industry employs to run its Formula 1 teams."

Formula 1's governing body and Fota have become embroiled in an increasingly bitter feud over Mosley's presidency and his plans for the 2010 season, which include budgetary and technical changes that have been met with opposition by Ferrari, Brawn GP, McLaren, Red Bull, BMW Sauber, Toyota, Renault and Toro Rosso.

It led to those eight teams - under the umbrella of Fota - to threaten to quit Formula 1 and establish a rival series next season - a move that Mosley claims "is an attack on the FIA's right to regulate its Formula One world championship".

"But, worse," adds Mosley in a letter written on Tuesday and addressed to all FIA member clubs, obtained by BBC Sport, "it is a wholly unjustified criticism of, and direct challenge to, the entire structure and purpose of the FIA.

It is extraordinary that at a time when all five manufacturers involved are in great financial difficulty and relying on taxpayers money, their Formula 1 teams should threaten a breakaway series

Max Mosley

"No president of the FIA could allow this to go unanswered.

"We are also preparing legal proceedings in case these are needed to protect the FIA's rights in its championship and to discourage any dissident Formula One team from engaging in illegal acts."

It is likely those writs will now be processed after Wednesday's planned meeting of the World Council.

Explaining the reasoning behind his battle with Fota, Mosley added: "A reduction in costs is essential if the independent teams are to survive.

"Without the independent teams, the championship would depend entirely on the car manufacturers who, of course, have always come and gone as it suited them.

"It is extraordinary that at a time when all five manufacturers involved are in great financial difficulty and relying on taxpayers money, their Formula 1 teams should threaten a breakaway series in order to avoid reducing their Formula 1 costs.

"It remains to be seen whether the boards of the parent companies will allow precious resources to be wasted in this way."

However, Fota - to date - have proved united and defiant in the face of Mosley, with various Fota members confirming at the British Grand Prix a number of teams and circuits had been in contact, underlining the level of interest in a breakaway movement.



Print Sponsor


see also
Mosley offers compromise on 2010
18 Jun 09 |  Formula 1
Ecclestone vows to act in F1 feud
22 Jun 09 |  Formula 1
Vettel romps to Silverstone win
21 Jun 09 |  Formula 1
British GP is secure - Ecclestone
20 Jun 09 |  Formula 1
Mosley confident of F1 resolution
21 Jun 09 |  Formula 1
Formula One on a budget
20 Jun 09 |  Technology
FIA to sue over breakaway attempt
19 Jun 09 |  Formula 1
Reaction to F1 breakaway threat
19 Jun 09 |  Formula 1
Formula 1 is 'finished' - Alonso
19 Jun 09 |  Formula 1
Why F1 future may spin out of control
19 Jun 09 |  Business
Mosley stands firm in budget row
17 Jun 09 |  Formula 1
Ferrari increase pressure on FIA
13 Jun 09 |  Formula 1
F1 teams granted entry for 2010
12 Jun 09 |  Formula 1
Briatore calms F1 walk-out threat
05 Jun 09 |  Formula 1
In-depth interview - Max Mosley
15 May 09 |  Formula 1


related bbc links:

related internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

BBC navigation

BBC © 2013 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.