Silverstone to be Donington backup - Ecclestone
Formula 1 commercial rights holder Bernie Ecclestone has said there will be a British Grand Prix in 2010.
Donington Park, which has a contract to host the British race from 2010, has not yet raised the finance it needs to upgrade its track.
"There will be a British Grand Prix next year, for sure, but it all depends on Donington getting their act together," Ecclestone told BBC Sport.
"If not, we'll be here at Silverstone again, don't worry." added the F1 boss.
Ecclestone had previously said he was not willing to return to the Northamptonshire circuit.
But the 78-year-old told BBC Sport: "For sure we'll be back at Silverstone if things don't work out at Donington."
"There will be a British Grand Prix next year, for sure. It depends on whether Donington get their act together. If not, we'll be here. Don't worry."
"We have got an agreement with Donington and I hope that they can complete the agreement and do all the things that they are supposed to do, but if they can't we will be back at Silverstone."
I say, provided the teams confirm they will be in the championship for five years, they can spend what they like.
F1 boss Bernie Ecclestone
Ecclestone said that changes in the structure of the British Racing Drivers Club (BRDC) who run Silverstone were behind his apparent change of heart.
"There has been a big change within the BRDC, they have got more commercial people involved and these people are prepared to do all the things that we want, which was the reason we left in the first place."
Ecclestone's comments follow Max Mosley, the president of the sport's governing body the FIA, saying on Friday that he thought it "highly likely" that the race would return to Silverstone.
"I think the chance of there not being a British Grand Prix next year is very small and my personal view - and it's not for me to decide - is that it's highly likely it will be at Silverstone."
Silverstone hosted the very first Formula 1 race in 1950 and has staged the British Grand Prix 43 times since, only the tracks at Monza and Monaco have hosted more Grands Prix.
Sports minister Gerry Sutcliffe welcomed Ecclestone's comments: "I am delighted by Bernie Ecclestone's announcement that, whether at Donington or Silverstone, there will definitely be a British Grand Prix next year," he said.
"This is very welcome news at a difficult time for the sport. Let's hope that tomorrow there is more good news - with a British winner at our home Grand Prix."