BBC Sport motorsport

IN ASSOCIATION WITH

Related BBC sites

Page last updated at 07:21 GMT, Saturday, 13 September 2008 08:21 UK

'Vindicated' Mosley returns to F1

Max Mosley pictured in Monza on Friday
Mosley says everything is now set to carry on as normal

Max Mosley said he felt "vindicated" as he returned to the F1 scene for the first time since winning a legal battle over claims about his private life.

The FIA president, who won a High Court case against the News of the World, is in Monza for the Italian Grand Prix.

He said his relationships with people in the sport were "completely normal" but did criticise two teams for statements made after the claims broke.

"They are probably a little ashamed at that now - they should be," he said.

World motorsport boss Mosley received 60,000 in compensation, a record for a breach of privacy ruling, after he successfully sued the News of the World.

He admitted he had taken part in an orgy with prostitutes but denied the newspaper's allegation that it had had a Nazi theme.

"The thing that annoyed me was [the allegation] that there was some sort of Nazi role play. That has been totally demolished in court," said Mosley.

He admitted the revelations had been "particularly bad for his family" but the 68-year-old added "as far as F1 is concerned, everything has gone on (as normal)".

He won a vote of confidence after an extraordinary hearing of the FIA's general assembly in early June which allowed him to remain in office, despite calls for him to quit his role from some parties in Formula One.

"The only thing that happened in Formula One is the two German and Japanese teams put out rather ill-considered press releases," he said.

"At the time, I put out a rather ill-considered response to the German one.

"But they should have picked the phone up and asked me what the truth of the matter was. They didn't bother to do that.

Bernie Ecclestone and Max Mosley
It was not good for a while, but we've met and talked and it's behind us

Max Mosley (right) on his relationship with F1 boss Bernie Ecclestone (left)
"Apart from that very minor thing, everything has flowed along, the discussions backwards and forwards about the regulations have been completely normal."

Mosley had previously indicated that he would probably step down as FIA president when his latest term ended in October 2009.

But he said that he was now reconsidering that decision following calls from member countries for him to stay on.

"I have to say there is an awful lot of pressure coming from different parts of the world saying 'continue', which is very nice of them, and is very widespread, I have to say that," said Mosley.

"But it's very hard work and I am really quite ready to take a less active role.

"So there comes a point with that sort of thing where you think maybe a slightly quieter life would be ideal, but we shall see," he added.

"You can't rule anything out. No. You should never say never, as the old cliche goes. But at the moment my inclination is that I would like a quiet life."

He insisted that his relationship with F1 boss Bernie Ecclestone, which cooled in the wake of the scandal, had been repaired.

"It got bad in a certain way when I started to be extremely annoyed after the vote of confidence, which Bernie appeared not to accept," Mosley said.

"It was not good for a while, but we've met and talked and it's behind us."

And he denied there was a bias in favour of Ferrari at the FIA.

"It's absolute nonsense. It couldn't be more nonsensical," he said.


see also
McLaren discover date for appeal
12 Sep 08 |  Formula One
Stewart calls on Mosley to quit
24 Jul 08 |  Formula One
Mosley wins court case over orgy
24 Jul 08 |  UK News
Mosley stays on as FIA president
03 Jun 08 |  Formula One
The manoeuvres of Mosley
04 Jun 08 |  Formula One
Mosley should go, says Ecclestone
31 May 08 |  Formula One
Mosley hits back in war of words
29 May 08 |  Formula One
Mosley sues over Nazi orgy claim
28 May 08 |  UK News
Mosley aims to stand down in 2009
20 Apr 08 |  Formula One
FIA to hold Mosley crisis meeting
03 Apr 08 |  Formula One


related internet links:
The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

BBC navigation

BBC © 2014 The BBC is not responsible for the content of external sites. Read more.

This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.