By Andrew Benson
BBC Sport at Monza
Raikkonen joined Ferrari from McLaren at the end of 2006
Ferrari have extended world champion Kimi Raikkonen's contract to the end of the 2010 season, ending speculation about the Finn's future at the team.
Raikkonen's deal had been due to end at the end of 2009, and there had been reports that Fernando Alonso was set to replace him.
But Ferrari said in a statement on Friday that their line-up would remain unchanged for the next two seasons.
Raikkonen's team-mate Felipe Massa also has a contract until 2010.
Raikkonen has produced a string of unconvincing performances this season, when he has often looked a shadow of the man who made a spectacular late charge to win his first drivers' title last season.
The 28-year-old, who is the highest-paid driver in F1, has often been overshadowed by Massa this season.
He lies fourth in the championship, 17 points behind the Brazilian, 19 behind McLaren's Lewis Hamilton and one behind BMW Sauber's Robert Kubica, heading into Sunday's Italian Grand Prix.
Raikkonen has so far indicated his reluctance to help Massa's title bid while he still has a mathematical chance of winning the championship himself.
It remains to be seen whether his new deal will have any effect on that approach.
So lacklustre have some of his performances been that there had even been claims in recent months that Raikkonen might leave the team at the end of this season, freeing up a space for Alonso.
Ferrari say they have extended his contract because they have faith in his ability.
Nevertheless, the decision has been met with some mystification as it appears to end their chances of signing either Alonso or Kubica until at least 2011.
The Spanish double world champion is known to be a favourite of Ferrari president Luca di Montezemolo and is keen to drive for Ferrari in the future.
Alonso has an option to get out of his two-year Renault contract at the end of this season if he wishes and is being courted by the struggling Honda team, as well as BMW Sauber.
I need to see if next year's car will be any better, if not, I will try to choose my best possibility for next year
He remains the key to this season's driver market, but his options for the future have narrowed considerably now he knows that there will likely be no seat at Ferrari available until at least 2011.
"Talking about 2010 or 2011, this seems crazy to me," said Alonso. "I cannot put my future two years forward. I want to win races as soon as possible, and this is starting from 2009.
"I don't know when I will decide my future. I just need to make sure of what the possibilities are for next year and how Renault will approach next year. I will decide as soon as I can.
"Two years ago Renault was world champion so they should know how to make a fast car.
"This year is not as good as we thought and I need to see if next year's car will be any better. If not, obviously, I will try to choose my best possibility for next year."
Kubica is also highly rated as a potential front-runner and while he has committed to stay at BMW until the end of next season, he, too, was keeping himself available for a possible Ferrari drive in 2010.