Mosley won a vote of confidence from the FIA earlier this year
Formula One great Sir Jackie Stewart believes Max Mosley should quit as boss of world motorsport despite winning his legal action against a newspaper.
International Automobile Federation president Mosley defeated the News of the World, which claimed an orgy he took part in had Nazi overtones.
But Stewart said: "Max should now step down and be cut out of it totally.
"His stewardship of the FIA simply cannot be undertaken in its fullest form because of what has occurred."
Mosley won a vote of confidence to stay on as president of the FIA - a position he has held since 1993 - after the publication of the story in May in the News of the World newspaper.
If I was Max now having won this case I would say... I'm out of here
But more than a third of delegates did not back the 68-year-old, who won 103 of 169 votes.
BBC 5 Live's motor racing commentator David Croft said the verdict from the High Court on Thursday had changed little within Formula One.
Former Jordan boss Eddie Jordan added: "Max has proven that he is a strong man, he's gone to court and he's not been bullied by a newspaper.
"However, there's still a slur against him and people don't forget that easily.
"If I was Max now having won this case I would say... I'm out of here."
He's done an enormous amount for motor racing around the world
Sir Stirling Moss
Former Minardi boss Paul Stoddart said that the FIA was "without credibility" if Mosley remained in charge.
"Various heads of state that go to Grands Prix don't want to be seen with him," Stoddart told BBC Radio 5 Live.
"The institution (FIA) is completely without credibility. The Crown Prince of Bahrain does not want Mosley in his country while the Australian prime minister refuses to have a meeting with him.
"There are big public companies that probably won't want to be associated with an institution that Mosley, having been exposed like this, has been representing and will continue to represent."
Former Formula One driver Sir Stirling Moss paid tribute to Mosley but agreed it would be difficult for him to continue in his role.
"He's done an enormous amount for motor racing around the world, not just Formula One," the 78-year-old told the BBC.
"I can understand how people feel about him, but I like Max. He's an interesting and amusing person.
Sir Stirling Moss reflects on Max Mosley's tenure as FIA boss
"However, I don't think his position is tenable - he does not hold the stature he held before."
Following the initial vote of confidence President of the American Automobile Association, Robert Darbelnet, said he was disappointed with the outcome and was considering withdrawing his country's membership from the FIA.
Along with the Americans, the Japanese, French, Australian and Spanish automobile federations all voted against Mosley as did the German motoring federation ADAC - Europe's largest automobile organisation - who froze all its activities with the FIA.
Mosley will reach the end of his presidential tenure in October 2009.
This page is best viewed in an up-to-date web browser with style sheets (CSS) enabled. While you will be able to view the content of this page in your current browser, you will not be able to get the full visual experience. Please consider upgrading your browser software or enabling style sheets (CSS) if you are able to do so.