Toro Rosso have signed German rising star Sebastian Vettel for next season as well as the rest of 2007.
Berger (right) believes Vettel will thrive at Toro Rosso
The move follows the team's decision to take 20-year-old as a replacement American Scott Speed, who was sacked after the European Grand Prix.
Vettel has been released from his role as a test driver for BMW Sauber.
He became the youngest driver to score a Formula One point when he replaced the injured Robert Kubica to finish eighth in the US Grand Prix in June.
Toro Rosso said on Tuesday that Vettel would replace Speed, who was axed after the European Grand Prix.
The team's co-owner Gerhard Berger played down reports that Speed had been sacked after an angry row with Toro Rosso chief Franz Tost after the race in Germany.
"I don't want to spend one more second talking about Scott Speed," he said.
"That's history. He didn't perform and that's why he isn't here any more."
But he admitted: "Lately we didn't have a good atmosphere and I don't want to say it's all Scott's fault, or our fault.
"But it just didn't work out and the only way is to stop it."
His comments were echoed by Tost, who said: "It has nothing to do with what happened there (the European Grand Prix).
"It was done before because we weren't happy with his performance. His progress wasn't in the way we expected."
Toro Rosso, who have not scored any points so far this season, have yet to name their second driver for 2008 amid speculation that triple ChampCar champion Sebastien Bourdais could replace Vitantonio Liuzzi.