BMW Sauber driver Robert Kubica was released from hospital on Monday after escaping serious injury in a horrific crash at the Canadian Grand Prix.
Kubica crashed out on lap 26 in Montreal
The 22-year-old Pole lost control as he tried to overtake Toyota's Jarno Trulli at 180mph, his car lifting off the ground before hitting a wall head-on.
Kubica emerged with only slight concussion and a sprained ankle.
"I feel very good," he said. "I was very lucky - big accident, but fortunately, nothing hurt."
Kubica said he remembered "nearly everything" about the crash.
He underwent intensive CT-scans and other checks at the Sacre Coeur Hospital in Montreal and was given the all-clear by doctors, driving himself away in a BMW X5.
Kubica hopes to be cleared to race in next weekend's US Grand Prix at Indianapolis, although he will have to undergo a standard check by the FIA Medical Delegate on Thursday.
"I think he wouldn't have survived something like this 10 years ago," said BMW motorsport boss Mario Theissen.
"To get a driver back unhurt after such a huge accident is fantastic."
The fact that Kubica emerged relatively unscathed is all the more remarkable as photographs show that the front of the chassis had been ripped off in the initial impact, exposing the driver's feet.
German test driver Sebastian Vettel is BMW's official reserve driver if Kubica is not declared fit to race in Indianapolis.