Formula One supremo Bernie Ecclestone says the future of the United States Grand Prix can be resolved very soon.
Ecclestone has shown ambivalence towards the US Grand Prix
The fate of the race has been in doubt ever since a 14-car boycott over tyre safety left only six cars to start last year's event in Indianapolis.
But Michael Schumacher's win on Sunday was watched by more than 100,000 fans.
Ecclestone, who last week claimed that all the US Grand Prix gives F1 is "aggravation", said: "I think we should be here, if we can reach an agreement."
Ecclestone hinted that the race could be handed a new multi-year deal within the next few weeks.
This was in stark contrast to comments he made a fortnight ago, when he said it "did not matter to Formula One if there is no Grand Prix in the US".
We are committed to working toward continuing to build on the foundation that has been laid over the last seven years
Indianapolis Speedway boss
Indianapolis Motor Speedway chief Tony George is desperate to see the US Grand Prix remain on the calendar.
"Bernie and I agreed to wait until the conclusion of the 2006 event to evaluate our future together," George said in a statement.
"We expect to do that in the coming weeks. The good news is we enjoy the partnership that has been forged.
"And we are committed to working toward continuing to build on the foundation that has been laid over the last seven years."