Renault's Fernando Alonso delighted the home crowd as he claimed pole for Sunday's Spanish Grand Prix.
SPANISH GP QUALIFYING
1 F Alonso 1:14.648
2 G Fisichella 1:14.709
3 M Schumacher 1:14.970
4 F Massa 1:15.442
5 R Barrichello 1:15.885
6 R Schumacher 1:15.885
7 J Trulli 1:15.976
8 J Button 1:16.008
The world champion produced a brilliant lap of one minute, 14.648 seconds to finish 0.061 secs ahead of team-mate Giancarlo Fisichella.
Ferrari rival Michael Schumacher had to settle for third in 1:14.970.
But McLaren's Juan Pablo Montoya missed the top 10 shoot-out after finishing 12th, while Briton David Coulthard will start 21st in his 200th Grand Prix.
Coulthard was left to rue in a mistake in the first knock-out session of qualifying when he lost control of his Red Bull car at turn three and crashed out of contention.
The Scot was only was only spared last place on the grid because of Jacques Villeneuve's 10-place penalty for an engine change.
Canadian Villeneuve needed a new engine in his BMW Sauber after his original was damaged in transit, and he will take 22nd position on the grid despite finishing 14th.
It was also disappointment for Schumacher, who briefly threatened the dethrone Alonso with a quick start to his last flying lap but slipped back to third, ahead of team-mate Felipe Massa.
Rubens Barrichello finished fifth to outshine Honda team-mate Jenson Button for the second successive race, with the Englishman off the pace in eighth.
Ralf Schumacher and Jarno Trulli continued to impress for Toyota, taking sixth and seventh respectively while Kimi Raikkonen was ninth for McLaren ahead of BMW Sauber's Nick Heidfeld.
But it was Alonso who sent the Barcelona crowd into a frenzy as he looks for victory on home turf.
"It was fantastic to see the crowd being so happy and I am really happy too," said the 24-year-old, who is 13 points ahead of Schumacher in the championship standings.
"It was very important for me to get through the second session and into the top-ten section, but my lap was very nice and I hope to give the Spanish people a victory on Sunday."
Qualifying results from the Spanish Grand Prix at Circuit de Catalunya (Barcelona):
1. Fernando Alonso (Esp) Renault 1:14.648
2. Giancarlo Fisichella (Ita) Renault 1:14.709
3. Michael Schumacher (Ger) Ferrari 1:14.970
4. Felipe Massa (Brz) Ferrari 1:15.442
5. Rubens Barrichello (Brz) Honda 1:15.885
6. Ralf Schumacher (Ger) Toyota 1:15.885
7. Jarno Trulli (Ita) Toyota 1:15.976
8. Jenson Button (GB) Honda 1:16.008
9. Kimi Raikkonen (Fin) McLaren 1:16.015
10. Nick Heidfeld (Ger) BMW Sauber 1:17.144
11. Mark Webber (Aus) Williams - Cosworth 1:15.502
12. Juan Pablo Montoya (Col) McLaren 1:15.801
13. Nico Rosberg (Ger) Williams-Cosworth 1:15.804
*14. Jacques Villeneuve (Can) BMW Sauber 1:15.847
15. Christian Klien (Aut) RedBull - Ferrari 1:15.928
16. Vitantonio Liuzzi (Ita) Toro Rosso - Cosworth 1:16.661
17. Scott Speed (US) Toro Rosso - Cosworth 1:17.361
18. Tiago Monteiro (Por) Midland-Toyota 1:17.702
19. Christijan Albers (Ned) Midland-Toyota 1:18.024
20. Takuma Sato (Jpn) Super Aguri-Honda 1:18.920
21. Franck Montagny (Fra) Super Aguri-Honda 1:20.763
22. David Coulthard (GB) Red Bull-Ferrari
*Villeneuve will start 22nd in Sunday's race after incurring a 10-place penalty for an engine change.