Jacques Villeneuve has said sorry to team-mate Felipe Massa for the incident that ended their Monaco GP hopes.
Villeneuve said the incident was "something I could have avoided"
The Sauber duo were in the running for sixth and seventh place when the Canadian tried to pass Massa, forcing him off and damaging his own car.
Villeneuve acknowledged on his website that the manoeuvre had been "misjudged" but still defended his actions.
"He (Massa) completely understood and confirmed his tyres could not hold the same pace as mine," said Villeneuve.
Team boss Peter Sauber described his drivers' performance in Monaco as "the most depressing thing that a team can experience".
Both Villeneuve, who was world champion with Williams in 1997, and Brazilian Massa were summoned to a meeting at Sauber's Hinwil factory in Switzerland to discuss the incident.
"They don't normally come to the factory after the races but this was a very serious situation and we have to speak together," said Sauber.
Both men can redeem themselves at Sunday's European GP at the Nurburgring, with Villeneuve promising: "I look forward to making up for Monaco."