Scotland Wales Northern Ireland
BBCi CATEGORIES   TV   RADIO   COMMUNICATE   WHERE I LIVE   INDEX    SEARCH 

BBC SPORT
You are in: You are in: Motorsport: Formula One  
Front Page 
Football 
Cricket 
Rugby Union 
Rugby League 
Tennis 
Golf 
Motorsport 
Statistics 
Formula One 
World Rally 
Motorbikes 
Boxing 
Athletics 
Other Sports 
Sports Talk 
In Depth 
Photo Galleries 
Audio/Video 
TV & Radio 
BBC Pundits 
Question of Sport 
Funny Old Game 

Around The Uk

BBC News

BBC Weather

SERVICES 
banner Thursday, 14 February, 2002, 17:34 GMT
Verstappen to claim against Arrows
Heinz-Harald Frentzen during his Prost days
Frentzen has been given the nod for 2002
Sacked Formula One driver Jos Verstappen will take his battle with Arrows to the courts, his manager Huub Rothengatter confirmed.

Verstappen found himself without a drive for the 2002 season after German Heinz-Harald Frentzen was named as the partner for Brazilian Enrique Bernoldi last week.

The Dutchman, who picked up the only point during a miserable 2001 season for the British team, had suggested he would consider taking legal action over the ending of his contract.

And Rothengatter verified that Verstappen will be taking the matter further.

"We will start to have a substantial claim against Arrows and we are prepared to pursue this through the courts," he said.

"People think this is the end of the story but it is not. This has been very disappointing and we will take action, that's for sure."

Jos Verstappen on the phone
Verstappen is receiving legal advice
Verstappen signed a deal for the 2002 season midway through last year's championship.

Rothengatter said there was no get-out clauses and the 29-year-old, who joined the team in 2000, will be seeking compensation for loss of earnings.

"What is the value of a signed contract?" Rothengatter added.

"We did not just shake hands or smile at each other. It was a signed contract which had been registered at the contracts recognition bureau in Geneva."

With the season less than three weeks away, it leaves the former Benetton driver little time to find himself a new car for the season.

He has been linked with a role as a test driver with Formula One newcomers Toyota.

Frentzen, who has three Grand Prix victories to his name, had been looking for a new team since the demise of Prost.

See also:

14 Feb 02 |  Formula One
McLaren boss eyes title
13 Feb 02 |  Formula One
Webber tipped to star
13 Feb 02 |  Formula One
Alesi rejects F1 return
12 Feb 02 |  Formula One
Renault set fast pace
Internet links:


The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Formula One stories are at the foot of the page.

 

E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Formula One stories

^^ Back to top