David Coulthard reflected upon the positives to have come from the Bahrain Grand Prix despite being forced to retire for the third successive race.
David Coulthard believes Red Bull's chances are improving
Prior to engine failure, Red Bull's Scottish driver had climbed from 21st on the grid to seventh place.
"I'm disappointed, obviously, to have another failure," he said.
"But we were quicker than Renault, who are the current world champions. So, as quickly as they have gone backwards, we have gone forwards."
Coulthard's race ended in Australia due to a collision with another car, he retired with a brake problem in Malaysia last week and trouble with the driveshaft ended his hopes again on Sunday.
Red Bull suffered double disappointment with the 36-year-old's team-mate, Mark Webber, also retiring with gearbox problems.
We are in front of Toyota and Renault, who are two big manufacturers
"Obviously we are still a long way from Ferrari, McLaren and BMW Sauber, but I believe we are better than we were last year and there are still good races to come," he said.
"It is race three and our goal has got to be to try to be the fourth team by the time we get to the end of the European season."
Red Bull have only been in existence for two years and Coulthard believes it will take time for them to develop the car enough to forge a place near the top of the grid.
"You just need to look at the history of Formula One and the teams that are winning are those that have been around for several years and have had the same people in place for that time," he said.
"We are a relatively young team still and we are in front of Toyota and Renault, who are two big manufacturers.
"We have to be realistic and, as painful as it is parking the car, I'd rather park the car having had a good race than what we had last year, which was just a slow car and not very good for anyone."