Scotland Wales Northern Ireland

You are in: You are in: In Depth: Heineken Cup  
Front Page 
Rugby Union 
Rugby League 
Other Sports 
Sports Talk 
In Depth 
Other Sports 
Photo Galleries 
TV & Radio 
BBC Pundits 
Question of Sport 
Funny Old Game 

Around The Uk

BBC News

BBC Weather

banner Friday, 2 November, 2001, 19:12 GMT
Ulster stun Stade with late try
Ulster's Tyrone Howe scores the match-winning try against Stade Francais
Winger Tyrone Howe goes over for the crucial try

Ulster 19-16 Stade Francais
BBC Sport Online's Jim Stokes at Ravenhill

A dramatic try deep into injury time by Lions winger Tyrone Howe saw Ulster defeat Stade Francais in a rousing Pool 2 clash.

Ulster looked down and out, and extremely unlikely to qualify for the knock-out stages, as they trailed last season's beaten finalists.

But in a pulsating final quarter, they whittled down a 16-9 deficit to grab the deciding try six minutes into injury-time.

It gave Ulster revenge for the 40-11 hammering in Stade Jean Bouin last week.

It was an absolutely incredible performance by the team
Ulster coach Alan Solomons

Alan Solomons' team are still second to Stade on tries scored, but are in a healthy position to make the quarter-finals.

Midway through the first half Ulster held a 6-3 advantage with David Humphreys converting two penalties to a single effort by Diego Dominguez.

Humphreys, though, was not having the best of days with the boot and missed four penalties in the first half.

Stade powered ahead in the 31st minute just after Ulster full-back Bryn Cunningham was stretchered off with a serious leg injury.

A big line-out drive proved Ulster's Achilles heel.

The French team drove towards the try-line, and then skipper Fabien Galthie fed big Canadian lock Mike James who touched down in the corner.

David Humphreys struggled with an ankle injury
David Humphreys gave up kicking duties
But Ulster were a point ahead at the break thanks to a penalty converted by a now limping Humphreys.

The usually impeccable Dominguez was also a little off target with his kicking, missing his third attempt at goal immediately on the resumption.

But the little Italian maestro put Stade ahead in the 45th minute with his third penalty.

With Humphreys still feeling the effect of his ankle knock, Paddy Wallace had a failed attempt to get Ulster ahead again in the 55th minute.

It was then left to the Stade pack to destroy an Ulster put-in, and Dominguez put in a delicate chip over the defence for Sylvain Jonnet to run in unopposed at the corner.

In a dramatic finale, Ulster tore into the Stade side who began to lose their shape, and they finally folded in injury-time.

When Tyrone Howe got the chance he took it - that shows the class of the guy
Ulster captain Andy Ward
Ulster had refused three kicks at goal as they sought the winning try and instead opted for line-out drives which were unsuccessful.

This time, in the last play of the game, they took a quick tap penalty and fired the ball left along the line and Howe charged into the corner.

Wallace added a brilliant touchline conversion.

Tyrone Howe was full of praise for his team-mates after the game.

"We showed a lot of courage, it wasn't pretty but we were so courageous and in the end it paid dividends.

"We wanted to reward the crowd and we knew if we kept the ball in hand we had a chance."

Ulster - try: Howe; pens: Humphreys (3), Wallace; con: Wallace.

Stade Francais: tries: James, Jonnet; pens: Dominguez (2).

Ulster: B Cunningham; J Topping, P Wallace, J Bell, T Howe; D Humphreys, N Doak; J Fitzpatrick, P Shields, S Best, G Longwell, M Blair, T McWhirter, R Nelson, A Ward.

Replacements: M Crick, C Boyd for Best (66), P Johns for Blair (68), N McMillen for Nelson (68), B Free, A Larkin for Cunningham (30), S Coulter.

Stade Francais: S Jonnet; C Dominici, F Comba, C Mytton, A Gomes: D Dominguez, F Galthie; S Marconnet, M Blin, P de Villiers, D Auradou, M James, P Tabacco, C Juillet, R Pool-Jones.

Replacements: B August for Blin (76), L Emmanuelli for De Villiers (80), H Chaffardon for James (78), P Rabadan for Juillet (66), N Raffault for Gomes (14)., J Berthe, M Lajus.

Referee: N Whitehouse (Wales).

Match reaction
Interviews with Ulster's Tyrone Howe, Andy Ward, Paddy Wallace, Alan Solomons
Tyrone Howe
"This was a massive win for us"
Internet links:

The BBC is not responsible for the content of external internet sites

Links to more Heineken Cup stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Heineken Cup stories

^^ Back to top