Scotland Wales Northern Ireland

You are in: You are in: In Depth: Heineken Cup  
Front Page 
Rugby Union 
Rugby League 
Other Sports 
Sports Talk 
In Depth 
Other Sports 
Photo Galleries 
TV & Radio 
BBC Pundits 
Question of Sport 
Funny Old Game 

Around The Uk

BBC News

BBC Weather

banner Sunday, 4 November, 2001, 16:29 GMT
Glasgow dent Cardiff's hopes
John Steel surges through the Cardiff defence
Glasgow proved more than a match for Cardiff
Glasgow 47-32 Cardiff

The Iestyn Harris bandwagon was derailed at Hughenden as Glasgow left Cardiff dangling on the edge of a dismal Heineken Cup exit.

With their own qualification hopes equally bleak, Glasgow were expected to roll over for their Welsh visitors as they had done in a 46-7 mauling at the Arms Park last weekend.

Instead, it was Cardiff who were routed, with Harris completely eclipsed by opposite number Tommy Hayes, who returned an impressive personal haul of 32 points.

Needing victory to maintain a realistic chance of qualification, Cardiff now need to win their last two matches and hope that unbeaten group leaders Montferrand fail to snatch another point.

Glasgow dominated the opening exchanges, allowing Harris only two attacking opportunities, the second of which produced Cardiff's opening touchdown.

Andy Henderson of Glasgow
Andy Henderson is brought to a halt
Andrew Henry held off Rory Kerr long enough to be able to reach over.

Although Harris could not convert, the score did give Cardiff some hope of gaining the win they so desperately required.

However, only a couple of blown chances at the other end, and the inconsistent boot of Tommy Hayes kept the Welsh side in touch.

Glasgow had gone in front when Hayes shrugged off the attentions of Anthony Sullivan, and darted home after the visitors' pack had been sucked under the posts.

The Cook Islander converted his own try, then landed a penalty, before Harris replied.

But when full-back Rhys Williams dropped a simple Harris pass on halfway, Kerr hacked on and won the foot race to the line.

Hayes missed the conversion and two further penalty chances, although he did boot home another just past the half hour after the Cardiff defence had drifted offside.

Tommy Hayes makes a break for the Cardiff line
Tommy Hayes was the scourge of Cardiff
Cardiff briefly threatened a comeback when Harris landed a penalty a minute after the re-start.

But Glasgow quickly reinforced their superiority, Hayes landing a penalty before converting Scotland centre James McLaren's try.

Hayes had found his range, slotting over four more penalties to take Glasgow into an unassailable lead, even though Williams weaved his way out of his own 22 and sprinted under the posts for the best try of the match.

With defences wilting, Pieter Muller and Roland Reid crossed at either end, before Harris strolled over to remind the home fans he was still on the pitch.

Glasgow: G Metcalfe; J Steel, J McLaren, A Henderson, R Kerr; T Hayes, A Nicol (capt); D Hilton, G Bulloch, G McIlwham, N Ross, J White, R Reid, G Flockhart, J Petrie.
Reps: G Scott, B Prescott, S Griffiths, G Simpson, G Beveridge, A Bulloch, B Irving.

Cardiff: R Williams; A Henry, J Robinson, P Muller, A Sullivan; I Harris, R Howley; S John, J Humphreys, D Young (capt), C Quinnell, A Jones, R Appleyard, E Lewis, S Sititi.
Reps: P Rogers, A Lewis, G Kacala, F Mounier, A Booth, N Robinson, M Allen.

Referee: D de Santis (Italy).

Wales legend Phil Bennett
"Glasgow were determined to get their own back"
Cardiff coach Rudy Joubert
"I'm very disappointed after that"
Links to more Heineken Cup stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Heineken Cup stories

^^ Back to top