Scotland Wales Northern Ireland

You are in: You are in: In Depth: Heineken Cup  
Front Page 
Rugby Union 
Rugby League 
Other Sports 
Sports Talk 
In Depth 
Other Sports 
Photo Galleries 
TV & Radio 
BBC Pundits 
Question of Sport 
Funny Old Game 

Around The Uk

BBC News

BBC Weather

banner Saturday, 27 October, 2001, 19:02 GMT 20:02 UK
Bath wipe the floor with Edinburgh
Marcus di Rollo tries to go past Mike Catt
Marcus di Rollo tries to go past Mike Catt
Edinburgh 6-37 Bath

Bath once again put their Premiership woes behind them to rout sorry Edinburgh at Myreside.

Jon Callard's side have won just one league game all season but have a 100% winning record from their three Heineken Cup pool matches.

It leaves Bath on the verge of qualification for the last eight, with one victory from their last three games probably enough to reach the knockout stages.

And given that they entertain the hapless Scottish side at the Recreation Ground next week, an early entry into the knock-out phase looks certain.

After a jittery start by both teams, Edinburgh went in front thanks to two penalties in quick succession by new Scotland-squad stand-off Gordon Ross.

Craig Smith is stopped by the Bath defence
Craig Smith is stopped by the Bath defence
He opened his account in the seventh minute from 22 metres after the visitors were punished for not releasing the ball.

And he struck again when England centre Mike Catt did not roll clear immediately after a tackle following a strong run by centre Marcus di Rollo.

Bath came back into the picture and a spell of pressure was rewarded as full-back Matt Perry slotted a simple penalty.

That was the cue for the English side to slip into gear and they effectively killed off the Gunners before the break.

Perry slotted two more penalties to give them the lead - and the home team suffered further with the sinbinning of prop Craig Smith, another fresh face in the Scotland set-up.

The impressive Perry was also in the right place at the right time to claim the first try in the wake of a dash by Catt and fine link-work by Irish star Kevin Maggs.

Kevin Utterson finds no way through
Kevin Utterson finds no way through
Perry added the goal points for good measure. And just before the break, there was more trouble for Edinburgh as winger Tom Voyce went over at the end of a mazy run from half-way - Perry again converting.

Bath continued to dominate after the restart and they made a mockery of the Edinburgh defence again in the 47th minute.

Catt was the man of the moment, leaving two markers for dead with a slick sidestep before darting in under the crossbar to give Perry a formality of a kick.

Edinburgh refused to buckle completely and put together a few attractive moves - but failed to turn possession into points.

Bath had the last word, however, as Perry goaled a try by flanker Gavin Thomas to round off the rout.

Edinburgh: Howarth, Murray, Di Rollo, Utterson, Sharman, Ross, Burns, Brannigan, Scott, Smith, Hines, Metcalfe, A. Dall, M. Taylor, G. Dall.

Replacements: Di Ciacca, Dunlea, Jolly, A. Walker, Fairley, Hodge, Officer.

Bath: Perry, Balshaw, Maggs, Barkley, Voyce, Catt, Williams, D. Barnes, Regan, Emms, Grewcock, Borthwick, G. Thomas, Gabey, Lyle.

Replacements: Cooper, Long, Hopcroft, Crockett, Danielli, Beattie, Lloyd.

Referee: Alan Lewis (Ireland)

Links to more Heineken Cup stories are at the foot of the page.


E-mail this story to a friend

Links to more Heineken Cup stories

^^ Back to top