Scotland Wales Northern Ireland
BBC Homepagefeedback | low graphics version

You are in: In Depth: Heineken Cup  
Front Page 
Rugby Union 
Rugby League 
Other Sports 
Sports Talk 
In Depth 
Photo Galleries 
TV & Radio 
BBC Pundits 
Question of Sport 
Funny Old Game 

Around The Uk

BBC News

BBC Weather


BBC Sport's Andrew Cotter
"Harlequins duly transformed their season"
 real 14k

Harliquins hooker Keith Wood
"It was a beautiful victory"
 real 56k

Sunday, 20 May, 2001, 15:34 GMT 16:34 UK
Quins claim dramatic Shield win
Ben Gollings
Gollings dives over for Quins' first try
Harlequins 42-33 Narbonne

Paul Burke kicked Harlequins to victory in the Heineken Shield final - but only after Narbonne had set up a thrilling finish at the Madejski Stadium in Reading.

The Irish international landed a penalty and a drop goal in the final four minutes of extra time to seal a 42-33 victory after the game had edged back and forth for the entire 110 minutes.

Coming just 24 hours after Leicester's win over Stade Francais in the Heineken Cup final, Quins' success clinched a memorable double for English rugby.

But the result hung in the balance until Burke's dramatic intervention after Narbonne had tied the score at 26-26 with five minutes of normal time remaining.

The boot of Gonzalo Quesada opened the scoring for Narbonne after six minutes only for Quins to take the lead with the first try of the game just 60 seconds later.

Keith Wood is tackled by Patrick Furet
Wood is tackled by Furet
Ben Gollings dived over in the corner, with Burke extending the advantage with a successful conversion.

Quins kept their noses in front until Ignacio Corleto scored the French side's first try of the game on 30 minutes.

Burke and Quesada then swapped a succession of penalties before Pat Sanderson crossed over for Quins' second try 15 minutes after the break.

Burke's conversion made the score 23-19 to the English side, but Narbonne remained a huge threat.

Even when scrum-half Gregory Sudre was yellow-carded and Burke had added another penalty to open a seven-point lead, Stuart Reid's men refused to throw in the towel.

With just five minutes of normal time left, they levelled matters when Argentine hooker Mario Ledemso touched down and Quesada landed a difficult conversion.

Quins began extra time with a flourish, Daren O'Leary profiting from Will Greenwood's powerful surge to crash down under the posts.

Roy Winters
Winters goes on a break
Burke kicked the conversion and then booted another penalty to make the score 36-26 after Australian flanker David Wilson had been stretchered off with a knee injury.

But Narbonne came back again, Reid scoring a debatable try in the dying seconds of the first half of extra time.

The Scottish No 8 bundled his way to the Quins' line but seemed to lose control of the ball as he went to earth.

Yet Welsh referee Nigel Whitehouse, who was right on the spot, deemed that Reid had grounded the ball legitimately.

Quesada then reduced the deficit to three points with his seventh successful kick at goal.

Narbonne had chances to take the game by the scruff of the neck but fell victim to Burke.

After extending the lead to six points with yet another penalty, the Quins fly-half landed a drop goal with just over a minute remaining to seal a memorable win.

See also:

20 May 01 |  Heineken Cup
Heineken Shield Final clockwatch
16 May 01 |  Heineken Cup
Quesada under scrutiny
20 May 01 |  Heineken Cup
Quins seek Shield success
18 Apr 01 |  Rugby Union
Quins' quit threat
Links to more Heineken Cup stories are at the foot of the page.

Links to more Heineken Cup stories

^^ Back to top